VM in hang state after displaying the log as - Perf: interrupt took too long

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
tharini

VM in hang state after displaying the log as - Perf: interrupt took too long

Post by tharini » 2022/12/16 10:53:07

My centos 8 stream template VM in vmware environment is often hang state after "Displays the dynamic interrupt throttling disabled, can hang your system! ". Not able to find the cause of the hang please provide the suggestions/guidence to resolve this issue.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: VM in hang state after displaying the log as - Perf: interrupt took too long

Post by TrevorH » 2022/12/16 13:37:28

It's fairly normal to get messages saying things like "perf: interrupt took too long (2507 > 2500), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 7900" so this should not be a thing that causes hangs. Are you sure that you're not hitting some other problem? Make sure you do not have either 'rhgb' or 'quiet' specified on your kernel command line (amend grub.cfg and reboot if you do) as those can hide errors. Also check the console to see if the system has paniced - or the keyboard LEDs are flashing.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

tharini

Re: VM in hang state after displaying the log as - Perf: interrupt took too long

Post by tharini » 2022/12/19 12:38:07

Thank you for the reply. There is no 'rhgb' or 'quiet' specified on the kernel command line. I am getting the following log in the console drm:drm_crtc_commit_wait [drm] *ERROR* flip_done timed out
[drm:drm_automic_helper_wait_for_dependencies [drm_kms_helper]] *ERROR* [CRTC:38:crtc-0] commit wait timed out
[drm_crtc_commit_wait [drm]] *ERROR* flip_done timed out
[drm:drm_automic_helper_wait_for_dependencies [drm_kms_helper]] *ERROR* [PLANE:34:plane-0] commit wait timed out.

This message appeared in the console but its works fine after reboot(vmware) then after some days it hang again.