Rocky Linux 9 not accepting SFTP connections from old Dreamweaver version (no matching host key type found)

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
adrianTNT

Rocky Linux 9 not accepting SFTP connections from old Dreamweaver version (no matching host key type found)

Post by adrianTNT » 2022/11/01 23:47:06

Hello.
I am running Rocky Linux 9 on server and I am trying to connect by password, not by key...
It works when connecting with Putty on port 22, but when I try to connect with an old Dreamweaver version, selecting SFTP and port 22, it doesn't connect, and on server's `/var/log/secure` I see:

Code: Select all

sshd[23594]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened for user root(uid=0) by (uid=0)
sshd[23612]: Unable to negotiate with [my IP] port 64671: no matching host key type found. Their offer: ssh-rsa,ssh-dss [preauth]
Connecting with Filezilla over SFTP also works fine.

I found similar questions/answers, but most of them refer to connecting using a private key, in my case I want it to also work with a password and I don't want to edit the wrong files.

So what should I edit on server in order to tell it to accept this older connection mode ? On client side (Dreamweaver) there aren't many/any options.
Thanks.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Rocky Linux 9 not accepting SFTP connections from old Dreamweaver version (no matching host key type found)

Post by TrevorH » 2022/11/02 00:53:15

Read man update-crypto-policies for the command to use and man crypto-policies for the policy to pick. You probably need to set it to LEGACY.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

BShT

Re: Rocky Linux 9 not accepting SFTP connections from old Dreamweaver version (no matching host key type found)

Post by BShT » 2022/11/02 15:05:43

you are probably using a depracated algorithm

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2022/11/02 15:25:08

The man pages I linked to tell you exactly what things are and are not accepted under the various crypto policy settings.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

adrianTNT

Post by adrianTNT » 2022/11/02 23:01:06

TrevorH wrote:
2022/11/02 00:53:15
Read man update-crypto-policies for the command to use and man crypto-policies for the policy to pick. You probably need to set it to LEGACY.
That did it. Thank you TrevorH.

Code: Select all

update-crypto-policies --show

update-crypto-policies --set LEGACY

Setting system policy to LEGACY
Note: System-wide crypto policies are applied on application start-up.
It is recommended to restart the system for the change of policies
to fully take place.