Upgrading a fresh installation --> not booting

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
jtajtajta

Upgrading a fresh installation --> not booting

Post by jtajtajta » 2022/08/04 22:41:43

Dear forum!
I recently purchased a new VPS service and installed a CentOS Stream8 OS. All went well and I disabled password login and setup another account for root access.

Then, I upgraded the OS using dnf check-update and dnf upgrade commands. During the upgrade I got two warnings:
warning: /etc/ssh/sshd_config created as /etc/ssh/sshd_config.rpmnew
warning: /etc/shadow created as /etc/shadow.rpmnew

But now, when I reboot the server, it hangs and wants me to select Grub2 or Grub Legacy. If I select Grub2, there are two errors:
error file '/boot/grub/i368-pc/increment.mod' not found
error file '/boot/grub/grubenv' not found

Selecting Legacy results in
error file '/boot/grub/grub.conf' not found

I am rather inexperienced Linux user and trying CentOS for the first time. I don't understand what is wrong and why the upgrade leads to this impasse. I would greatly appreciate any insight and advice how to fix this problem. It is, of course, not very encouraging to have a brand new installation, run the very first upgrade, and end up in the pit. Maybe I am doing something wrong??

Regards
Juhani

EDIT: I made another virtual server using Ubunut 22.04. No similar problems there. I can apt-get upgrade the server and it reboots nicely without any problems. --> This seems a CentOS related problem, or what do you think? The CentOS server I can now only access after booting in recovery mode.