Centos 9 stream dependency failed for /home

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
user9452

Centos 9 stream dependency failed for /home

Post by user9452 » 2022/05/21 17:02:18

Trying to migrate my hypervisor from fedora34 to 9-stream but run into this issue already several times. Disk layout is what the anaconda installer gives you on auto, xfs with separate home, swap and root partitions with lvm2. First everything works no problem but this issue

Before I just have reinstalled since I've had issues with migration and I have assumed that I messed up something. I thought I might have a faulty drive and changed that too but it didn't help as this happened again. This time it occured after I had to destroy an unresponsive vm. The computer just rebooted itself and the next boot was to rescue mode after timed out waiting for device /dev/mapper/cs_78--27--89--207-home.

9-stream is on separate disk and there is another disk for vm images. The system is a minimal hypervisor install with three imported (defined) virtual machines.

If I boot with installation media and try to rescue the system the drive mounts with no problems so I don't know what I should try to repair since there are no issues. However the problem persists once I try to boot back into the system.

ls /dev/mapper lists all the others but no home part.
vgscan --mknods -v won't find any volume groups.
xfs_repair /dev/sda run from rescue disk did nothing.

I would be happy to provide more info but I just don't know where to look at and all the info related to this i find with google is over a decade old. Journalctl -xb lsblk and fstab are as attachments
Attachments
lsblk.jpg
lsblk.jpg (237.65 KiB) Viewed 1155 times
journalxtl.jpg
journalxtl.jpg (209.02 KiB) Viewed 1155 times
fstab.jpg
fstab.jpg (178.11 KiB) Viewed 1155 times

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Centos 9 stream dependency failed for /home

Post by TrevorH » 2022/05/21 23:44:20

Looking at that lot, it appears your issue is that the LV has been deleted. I've never ever heard of that happening on its own, it only happens if someone runs lvremove. If you are lucky you might have a backup in /etc/lvm/backup or /etc/lvm/archive that tells you where the LV used to reside. How you recreate it from that info, I do not know.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

user9452

Post by user9452 » 2022/05/22 04:15:59

Booted to installation media and tried vgcfgrestore cs_78--27--89--207 -f from archive but there is nothing to do since there everything is fine and I can mount home with no issues. Everything is there and works just as it should.

But in normal boot it still can't mount. I tried that vgcfgrestore on resque mode but apparantely you cant do it there since all the rest is mounted.

Also the installation keeps changing from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc which I found odd. I don't know if that is normal. The third drive is an ZFS drive which I passthrough directly to a vm so it is not addressed in fstab.

This all is way over my head but I'm going to keep on looking. If I can't find a solution I guess I'll just reinstall again and hope this won't happen for the fifth time and if (when) it does, mark down what caused it this time. For all I know it seems to be related to unusual shutdown of a vm.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2022/05/22 12:07:07

Go back through your logs and boot messages and see if there is any clue why it does not like it.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

user9452

Post by user9452 » 2022/05/24 03:30:36

Sorry for the stupid question but is there really no way to get more defailed logs like journald from previous boots by default?

Some messages appear for a short period on the screen when it crashes but I it seems journald logs are not persestent by default. Naturally I changed it now but also there was no new info on /var/log/messages or boot logs.