[9-Stream] Alternative Panel, File and/or Windows Managers or Fedora Desktops as Containers?

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
bjs

[9-Stream] Alternative Panel, File and/or Windows Managers or Fedora Desktops as Containers?

Post by bjs » 2022/05/05 23:37:04

PREFACE: New member and long, long time Fedora deskop user and RHEL/CentOS [Stream] sysadmin. I've been running Fedora since Core 1 and using Apt, YUM, FedUp and system upgrade to upgrade through many versions nearly 2 decades now. And now, like Facebook, I would like to seriously consider CentOS 9 Stream as an unified Desktop + Server option, especially Application Streams (AppStreams) containing so many rebased options, along with the Hyperscale and other SIGs moving forward.

I would like to start a centralized thread on alternative desktop options for CentOS 9 Stream, including whether from EPEL or a 3rd party repo ...
  • File Managers - e.g., (anyone?)
I did some searches for OpenBox and others, and came up with some threads from General and 8/9 sections. Is anyone where running OpenBox or another WM on CentOS 9 Stream with some File Managers and/or Panels? I'd rather not use anything GNOME Shell, kinda defeats the purpose. If not, let's try another direction.

Is anyone running Fedora as a Container, possibly LXDE or even i3, on CentOS 9 and able to run a Desktop that way? I know it seems limited, but it could be a way around some things. This thread could serve that purpose as well.
--
Bryan J Smith, LPIC-3, RHCA, et al.
Dell Latitude 12.5" and Precision 15.6" Owner
Largely run Fedora, CentOS Stream and Red Hat Enterprise Linux