Login screen frozen keybord/mouse not responsive

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
ralf

Re: Login screen frozen keybord/mouse not responsive

Post by ralf » 2022/01/27 12:59:17

TrevorH wrote:
2022/01/22 19:19:34
You can find package history by using the 'yum history' command (see the man page, it has lots of subcommands and options) or by reading the various /var/log/dnf.rpm-log* files or even by using `rpm -qi centos-stream-release` which will show a build and install date/time.

You can see what is running by using the `ps fax` command. That shows you the processes as a tree so you can see what started what. On my CentOS 7 system that shows stuff running as a child of /usr/sbin/gdm and those would be the processes started when you logged in and will have a bunch of child processes themselves. I would imagine that if you killed those then gdm would pop back in and prompt for a login. Or you could `systemctl list-units` and find ones in there that sound like they have to do with the GUI and systemctl restart them one by one. Or perhaps `systemctl isolate multi-user.target` which will switch from what used to be called runlevel 5 (GUI with network) to runlevel 3, command line only logins. That should kill the entire GUI off then you can `systemctl isolate graphical.target` to fire it all back up again. Or just `shutdown -r now` from a root command line and reboot the entire box. If sshd is not running I'd suggest starting it up from webmin.
I ran the command "rpm -qi centos-stream-release", which shows the Install Date: Thu Oct 7 11:18:34 2021 !! I still don't understand how this is possible, without explicitely moving to centos stream. But this is where I am now...

All "systemctl" commands do NOT work through webmin for me.

Unfortunately changing the runlevel from 5 to 3 and back to 5, via (an updated) Webmin, did not work. The system replies that it switched to runlevel "-", which probably means it didn't change anything.

My package list shows a mixture of centos baseos and stream packages. Is this normal, or should all centos-related packages be labelled "stream" when running stream?

The system report 400+ package updates from baseos and stream. Should I update them all and try a reboot?

ralf

Re: Login screen frozen keybord/mouse not responsive

Post by ralf » 2022/01/28 08:40:01

Hi all who helped me with my problem.

Finally, I pulled the plug.
I updated all packages through Webmin - at least that worked in Webmin :-)
And I rebooted the machine (that didn't work through Webmin) - so a power off/on was needed.
Everything works as it should now....
And I didn't disabled sshd after the reboot as I use to do, so I can reach the server at any time, and don't need Webmin any more.

I will now plan for a new server (hardware and software) and change this existing main centos stream server into an Alma/Rocky linux server, so I can retire my old backup centos7 server too.

Thanks for all help here. This is a great forum!