Generic question about Fedora CVEs and their impact on RHEL & CentOS

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
Joe_475

Re: Generic question about Fedora CVEs and their impact on RHEL & CentOS

Post by Joe_475 » 2021/12/07 13:34:26

Just a quick message to share an update: I have created an account in the RHEL customer portal on Friday then installed RHEL 8 over the week-end (having a proper install yesterday), and there is indeed a big "wow" effect :D

I instantly felt the difference and while I had fun with Ubuntu & other Debian-based distros for more than a year, I wish I had picked Red Hat Linux earlier, it's really solid & the documentation is just incredible - I wonder, in fact, because the procedures are so well written & detailed that it can be actually easier for a Linux newcomer to start with RHEL rather than starting with other releases where you may have to navigate countless blogs before finding your answer. Here, with RHEL 8, everything is at hand - have got already some 20 guides on my desk... :lol:

So exploring now configuration & hardening, saw the install process offers some security policies to apply from the start (something I wondered about in the other distros I tried). Just got one bizarre event today: I installed five languages (US English as default, then French, Polish plus also German & Dutch) but when I was trying to add Open VPN, I noticed the network interface screen changed at some stage into Arabic (country: Egypt). To switch back to US English, the session had to be ended and I had to log in again but I definitely didn't do that before the unexpected language appeared. Will see if this can be reproduced but again, with RHEL 8 and the few guides I have to read through, I'm feeling like having had a great St Nicholas' present: not driving a red fancy car, but I have now a red sports Linux distribution on my laptop :D

Thanks again for your kind support & guidance!