centos stream 8 and podman versions

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
maxodoble

centos stream 8 and podman versions

Post by maxodoble » 2021/10/13 14:30:57

hi,

i was trying out centos stream 8 in the past days with focus on podman containers. it has been working fine, until i noticed that a dnf update automatically installed podman 4.0-dev packages instead of the stable 3.x ones?

latest release of podman: https://github.com/containers/podman/re ... tag/v3.4.0
centos stream installed via dnf update today in my test-system: podman version 4.0.0-dev

is this really the planned behaviour of centos stream? i knew that with stream i would get "fresher" versions of packages, but i didn't expect to get devel versions with a simple dnf update?

will centos stream really be such a wild ride on the edge, where you have to weather devel releases of podman, or did i do something wrong, is there a config option to disable devel versions?

Thanks,
Max

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: centos stream 8 and podman versions

Post by TrevorH » 2021/10/13 15:03:06

Yes. That's exactly what it means. You get advance copies of what Red Hat are thinking about putting into the next RHEL point release. And since they are advance copies, sometimes it takes several goes to get it right though, allegedly, it all goes through RH's QA process first.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

maxodoble

Post by maxodoble » 2021/10/13 15:58:09

o.k.

thanks for your reply!

whow, i have to admit i am surprised. arch linux could be regarded as more conservative/stable than centos stream in this way. never thought this could happen ;)

thanks again.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2021/10/13 16:51:29

It is the reason that Alma and Rocky linux exist.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

jlehtone

Post by jlehtone » 2021/10/13 19:01:05

TrevorH wrote:
2021/10/13 15:03:06
Yes. That's exactly what it means. You get advance copies of what Red Hat are thinking about putting into the next RHEL point release.
Current RHEL 8 is 8.4. CentOS Stream 8 has therefore had packets that could go into 8.5.
Beta of RHEL 8.5 has been released. At what point will Red Hat start to push "could go into 8.6" content into Stream?
We know that after official release of 8.5 there is no question about it, but is that point earlier?

Mike_Rochefort

Post by Mike_Rochefort » 2021/10/14 05:22:30

jlehtone wrote:
2021/10/13 19:01:05
TrevorH wrote:
2021/10/13 15:03:06
Yes. That's exactly what it means. You get advance copies of what Red Hat are thinking about putting into the next RHEL point release.
Current RHEL 8 is 8.4. CentOS Stream 8 has therefore had packets that could go into 8.5.
Beta of RHEL 8.5 has been released. At what point will Red Hat start to push "could go into 8.6" content into Stream?
We know that after official release of 8.5 there is no question about it, but is that point earlier?
Stream 8 has been tracking 8.6 for a few weeks now.

As for Podman, this came up on Matrix/IRC. The 4.0.0 build was a slip in the internal QE process for an accidental pre-release build from the main upstream Podman branch, it was never meant to be visible, much less go out. It'll be replaced by the proper 3.3.x build (and 3.4 when built).

I know this isn't the greatest thing to hear, but this was an honest mistake with something getting incorrectly triggered. Can't really provide more detail on what happened, as the above is all I know. The release processes around Stream 8 are a tad rough around the edges in places, less so for Stream 9 where RHEL engineering is fully integrated.

Cheers,
Mike
Solution Architect @RedHat | RHCE
Former SysAdmin @BlueSkyStudios and @Pixar
Feature animation and VFX enthusiast
--
Report CentOS Stream 8 bugs: https://da.gd/c8s-bugs
Report CentOS Stream 9 bugs: https://da.gd/c9s-bugs

maxodoble

Post by maxodoble » 2021/10/14 08:23:17

Mike_Rochefort wrote:
2021/10/14 05:22:30

Stream 8 has been tracking 8.6 for a few weeks now.

As for Podman, this came up on Matrix/IRC. The 4.0.0 build was a slip in the internal QE process for an accidental pre-release build from the main upstream Podman branch, it was never meant to be visible, much less go out. It'll be replaced by the proper 3.3.x build (and 3.4 when built).

I know this isn't the greatest thing to hear, but this was an honest mistake with something getting incorrectly triggered. Can't really provide more detail on what happened, as the above is all I know. The release processes around Stream 8 are a tad rough around the edges in places, less so for Stream 9 where RHEL engineering is fully integrated.

Cheers,
Mike
Thank you for clarification on this topic.

I was about to give up immediately on centos stream, if blatant devel packages are going to be released.

Couldn't help myself wondering why on earth a huge organisation like cern would endorse centos stream 8, if devel versions get released and used. Will now wait and see, how this plays out in the coming weeks.

Thanks,
Max