gnome desktop applications pulldown changed after update

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
iwishitwouldwork

gnome desktop applications pulldown changed after update

Post by iwishitwouldwork » 2021/09/27 14:48:55

I did a dnf upgrade a while back.
Centos 8
Gnome GUI
The applications item on the top bar changed its appearance.
BEFORE: the applications pulldown would put a sidebar up with about 5-6 items. One of the icons was 3 rows of 3 dots that spewed out a full screen(s) of icons in alphabetical order.
AFTER: the applications pulldown is a "real pulldown". I get a box with two columns. The right hand column has items pretty similar to the old sidebar, with icons (firefox, terminal, and so on). The left hand side is a list of submenus.

Users who had their home dirs on the upgraded machine felt the change.
Users who had their home directories on the file server did NOT feel the change. The file server was also upgraded, but the file server does NOT have a GUI installed.

I did a dnf history to see if I could narrow down the package(s) that did this, but I got nowhere. I assume there was a README that I ignored.

I went through the applications->settings and applications->tweaks and I didn't find a way to go back to the old style.
I went through as much of ~/.config and subdirectories as seemed useful. I compared the changed users to the file-server (unchanged) users, couldn't come up with an explanation.

I've tried to learn to like the new interface, but.... my muscle memory complains when I try to open a terminal and have to zig-zag. Before it was just straight down.

Is there any way to go back? Or is this new thing "required"? Ie, is the old thing deprecated?

jlehtone

Re: gnome desktop applications pulldown changed after update

Post by jlehtone » 2021/09/28 08:35:06

iwishitwouldwork wrote:
2021/09/27 14:48:55
I did a dnf upgrade a while back.
Centos 8
Gnome GUI
What you describe does sound like GNOME Classic. Curiously, what Red Hat told about RHEL 8's GNOME Classic in 2019, looks like your "after", doesn't it? https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/red-hat- ... er-changes

iwishitwouldwork

Re: gnome desktop applications pulldown changed after update [b]RESOLVED[/b]

Post by iwishitwouldwork » 2021/09/28 23:30:51

that did it.
I imagine I should have known that.