CentOS Linux 8 is now EOL (December 31, 2021)

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: CentOS Linux 8 is now EOL (December 31, 2021)

Post by TrevorH » 2022/01/06 18:09:52

Also, both Rocky and Alma have scripts to convert between themselves and other RHEL derived clones. I used migrate2rocky.sh recently to convert my lone CentOS 8 VM to Rocky 8 nad all went without a hitch (obviously needs more testing before being used in anger for production machines).
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

WhatsHisName

Post by WhatsHisName » 2022/01/06 18:44:17

Also used migrate2rocky.sh on my LUKS-encrypted, UEFI-based laptop last week after the rhel8 conversion script refused to run.

Needed to manually install several packages to get the script to run and then it crashed mid conversion leaving me with an unbootable laptop.

After considerable effort (did I mention LUKS-encrypted?), I found the problem: Down in the /boot/efi/... folders, grub.cfg and grubenv had not been duplicated from .../centos/ to .../rocky/.

/boot/efi/EFI/{centos,rocky}/{grub.cfg,grubenv}

Fixed that and it boots/runs fine now.

pajamian

Post by pajamian » 2022/01/06 21:57:28

Would you mind posting your issue to https://github.com/rocky-linux/rocky-tools/issues ? migrate2rocky should not have required any additional packages be installed and it should have fixed up grub and EFI boot on completion automatically. I'm very interested to know exactly what extra steps you had to take (as well as the output of migrate2rocky.log) to get it to work so that it can be fixed to work better for others in the future, but let's take it to the appropriate forum.

Thanks

Peter Ajamian

WhatsHisName

Post by WhatsHisName » 2022/01/07 01:44:16

Sorry, don't have GitHub account. Here are the issues (which might be useful to others trying to migrate) and the migration logs:

System: HP EliteBook 745 G6 Laptop running AMD 2nd Gen Ryzen 7 3700U (about 2 years old)

1) System initially refused to start migration with these errors.

Can't get package that provides system-logos-ipa. > Installed centos-logos-ipa
Can't get package that provides system-logos-httpd. > Installed centos-logos-https

2) Resolved by manually installing the centos-logos-* packages (see above).

3) Restarted migration, ended in this failure:

Unable to resolve argument libselinux-python:2.8
Error: Problems in request:
missing groups or modules: libselinux-python:2.8

Can't disable modules libselinux-python:2.8

An error occurred while we were attempting to convert your system to Rocky Linux. Your system may be unstable. Script will now exit to prevent possible damage.

4) Resulted in an unbootable system.

"Your system may be unstable. Script will now exit to prevent possible damage. (see above)" Hum. I guess unbootable falls into that category.

5) Resolved by copying grub.cfg and grubenv from /boot/efi/EFI/centos/ to /boot/efi/EFI/rocky/

# cp /boot/efi/EFI/centos/{grub.cfg,grubenv} /boot/efi/EFI/rocky/

Migration logs attached:
migrate2rocky.3.log
Issue 1
(564 Bytes) Downloaded 255 times
migrate2rocky.2.log
Issue 2
(572 Bytes) Downloaded 237 times
migrate2rocky.1.log
Crash
(6.25 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
Not much more I can add to that.

"dnf update" resulted in the reinstallation of a huge number of packages. I guess .rocky.el8 is a higher version than .centos.el8 :-)

Laptop running OK now.

Edit: I should clarify the Unbootable means Grub Prompt

Normally, you might be able to work through that with the "Super Grub2 Disk", but LUKS encryption gets in the way.