Am I too old for this? Avahi mdns question

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
TooOldForThis

Am I too old for this? Avahi mdns question

Post by TooOldForThis » 2021/07/11 19:39:50

First timer on Centos.
Not a first timer on Linux, have been using it off and on for over 20 years, started with slackware back in 2000

Yes a first timer on Centos. Yum instead of apt-get.. and probably a lot of other stuff under the hood that I can't find off the bat.
Don't mind me ranting a bit.. comes with age..

My request for support is this one:
I want to publish the vnc service on my local LAN, so I can get at it from my mac. It is not publishing itself as my other macs and the occasional Debian box is doing

I cannot find anything about how avahi detects a service that it needs to publish. Given that the daemon config file is default, I think its task set is injected into avahi from someplace else.
Like you don't have to set the host name, and domain.. it automagically learns to publish the name as 'scorcher.local' from somewhere else. At least when it was running Debian, it did

Still, my workstation is NOT announcing itself in mdns, I cannot ping "scorcher.local" (scorcher being my very old Sony Vaio laptop that still manages to run 64bit linux, kinda cool.
So no mdns, avahi daemon is running, but it is not advertising the pc. let alone the vnc service running on it.

Although I've been working with linux for so long, I am getting older in a hurry, so please don't assume I'm able to go off galavanting across google to collect the necessary breadcrumbs. During the last year or so I've noticed I loose my grip on the topic.

A simple set of commands with maybe an explanation or two is highly appreciated