Firefox plays some video streams, not others

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
mraki

Firefox plays some video streams, not others

Post by mraki » 2021/07/04 04:08:26

Hi all,

Relatively new Cent Stream 8.4/Linux user here. I'll add more information here if needed (so please ask) but I have a rather limited problem. So far, everything pretty much works well on the occasionally used Cent/Gnome machine connected to my entertainment system. The system plays YouTube video streams with no trouble so I know it plays at least some video streams. However, I went to try to play the web cam streams from the San DIego Zoo (https://zoo.sandiegozoo.org/live-cams) and they wouldn't play even though they play just fine on Firefox on my Fedora/Gnome system (Fedora 34). I looked at the page source and it's .swf files with .js java script. I checked that javascript was enabled in the about:config of FIrefox/Cent and it is.

Is the absence of a Shockwave Flash plug in the problem? I didn't see one on the Fedora system and it plays the Zoo web cams fine. I think (it was a couple of days ago) I tried to add a non-Adobe flash player (due to Adobe's end-of-life issues) just to test if that was the problem but it didn't help. I'm not sure what else to do to compare the Fedora and CentStream systems.

Does anyone have any ideas what the issue might be? Thanks in advance for any suggestions and feel free to be explicit for a relative dumb newbie.

-mraki