Python packages installation error

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
Libra

Python packages installation error

Post by Libra » 2021/05/27 05:44:22

I'm trying to install libvirt-python and python-virtinst, however I'm getting error "No match for argument". I installed virt-manager, qemu-img, libvirt and libvirt-client but these two packages I can't get to install. I tried both physical machine and virtual box. I also run "yum update" to update. How I can install these two packages? Thank you for you help.
Attachments
python_error.PNG
python_error.PNG (19.64 KiB) Viewed 2628 times

sml

Re: Python packages installation error

Post by sml » 2021/05/27 05:54:08

Code: Select all

dnf install python3-libvirt virt-install

Libra

Post by Libra » 2021/06/04 04:17:21

Thank you, that works.
How can I find the packages name? I mean I'm new to Linux, just been learning for last few months from online courses. Almost all online course are recorded for Centos7. I'm having trouble to install packages to Centos 8 which I installed in virtualbox. Such as the above python package. Now I'm having trouble with installing kickstart package. I typed command "yum install system-config-kickstart" and it displayed an error "Error: Unable to find a match: system-config-kickstart".

What is the easy way to find packages for Centos 8? Is there a list of packages that I can go through or another way to find packages? Thank you for your help.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2021/06/04 08:05:10

If you know a file that a package would provide but don't know the package name then you can do something like yum provides '*/name-of-file'. If you don't know the name of a file then you can try a wildcard list like dnf list \*kickstart\* which shows you that the new package name is either pykickstart.noarch or python3-kickstart.noarch
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke