Taking backup from recovery mode

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
danwes33

Taking backup from recovery mode

Post by danwes33 » 2021/04/05 17:36:57

Hello all, I have a hyper-v VM running centos8. A colleague was attempting to update openssl manually and somehow corrupted the library specifically libk5crypto.so.3. The machine will no longer boot. Now I am not really concerned about the machine itself I just built another but we do need the contents of the /var/ww/html/* folder. I did manage to turn networking back on and am able to ping other machines on the network but I am unable to establish any type of ssh connection. I am doing everything from the host server and console. All I need is to get the previous mentioned files off to put them on the new machine. (Yes I am aware more backups should have been taken but at this point its moot and I need to work with what I have) Also none of us are linux experts we have enough base knowledge and google to get us through. The host machine is running server 16

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Taking backup from recovery mode

Post by TrevorH » 2021/04/05 17:39:45

Attach the disk to another linux guest and mount the filesystem there and copy the data off.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

danwes33

Post by danwes33 » 2021/04/05 19:36:24

That doesnt seem to be working. I might be doing it wrong. I built another hyper-v centos8 machine. After it was done I powered it off and attached the vhd that is corrupted to IDE controller 1. I powered on the machine and after several minutes it just goes into emergency mode and wont actually boot to OS. When I detach that extra vhd it boots just fine.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (26.38 KiB) Viewed 269 times

danwes33

Post by danwes33 » 2021/04/06 19:51:45

I have solved the issue. Trevor's idea worked but backwards. I added a new drive to the corrupted machine and loaded the OS on it. It booted fine and I was able to access files from the corrupted machine.