When I press install I just get a blank screen with a cursor

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
needhelp123

When I press install I just get a blank screen with a cursor

Post by needhelp123 » 2021/02/21 19:01:29

I am trying to install centos8 on a virtual machine with virutalbox. When I choose the option to install, nothing happens, it just goes to a blank screen with a blinking cursor. I have tried to install with text only as well, nothing seems to work. Does anyone have a solution for this? If it is supposed to take long, how long should I be waiting on a blank blinking screen? If it is not supposed to take long, what am I supposed to do here?

Adam85

Re: When I press install I just get a blank screen with a cursor

Post by Adam85 » 2021/04/06 21:01:09

I have the same issue starting Centos 8.3 from ISO in VirtualBox 6.1. I can boot other versions including Centos 8.2 but for some reason 8.3 just gives me a blank screen with a cursor.

I was able to test an existing install of Centos 8.3 using a Vagrant box and that also fails to boot, however I was able to boot into rescue mode. I found that the rescue mode was using a previous kernel version, and that seems to be the different between it booting or not.

When I checked the journalctl in rescue mode I found that the reason it was not booting is because it could not mount /boot, got the error of unknown partition type ext4. It seems the kernel is not loading the module for ext4 for some reason.

Adam85

Re: When I press install I just get a blank screen with a cursor

Post by Adam85 » 2021/04/08 15:41:14

I was able to resolve the issue with booting Centos 8.3 in Virtualbox. I tried a lot of different things, but what finally worked was fully removing Windows Subsystem for Linux from Windows 10 then cleaning up all temp files and rebooting.

Do you have WSL installed in Windows 10?