What do you think of the recent Red Hat announcement about CentOS Linux/Stream?

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support

What do you think of the recent Red Hat announcement about CentOS Linux/Stream?

I can use either CentOS Linux or Stream and it makes no difference to me
12%
I will switch reluctantly to CentOS Stream but I'd rather not
6%
I depend on CentOS Linux 8 and its stability and now I need a new alternative
22%
I love the idea of CentOS Stream and can't wait to use it
8%
I'm off to a different distribution before CentOS 8 sunsets at the end of 2021
20%
I feel completely betrayed by this decision and will avoid Red Hat solutions in future
32%

Total votes: 142

hawaiian717

Re: What do you think of the recent Red Hat announcement about CentOS Linux/Stream?

Post by hawaiian717 » 2021/01/14 22:39:48

While Stream might work for us in some use cases, there are others where it's not appropriate. Right now, we'll let our CentOS 7 systems continue as is. We have a handful of CentOS 8 systems already, but will leave them as is for now. I've started looking at Oracle Linux and if I have to build a new system that would have gotten CentOS 8, I expect I'll be using OL8 in the interim, while also keeping an eye on Rocky and AlmaLinux. I'll also be keeping an ear open for those new no/low-cost options Red Hat talked about for RHEL.

demon_sl

Re: What do you think of the recent Red Hat announcement about CentOS Linux/Stream?

Post by demon_sl » 2021/01/16 17:10:24

hello, I think this is a wrong step, but you know better. Who are we to you? betta testers? and despite your sweet assurances - the job is already done.
I ask you to avoid substitution of concepts and give a clear name "RC RHEL" because CentOS is dead :(

even if the community managed to create a clone of rhel, which was originally CentOS, to the greed of ibm. The credibility of your company has already been damaged. not reliable, risky! use Facebook and Twitter, and I'll move to another ecosystem.

Thank you, but better let Facebook and Twitter be your Betta testers

demon_sl

Post by demon_sl » 2021/01/16 17:43:14

hawaiian717 wrote:
2021/01/14 22:39:48
While Stream might work for us in some use cases, there are others where it's not appropriate. Right now, we'll let our CentOS 7 systems continue as is. We have a handful of CentOS 8 systems already, but will leave them as is for now. I've started looking at Oracle Linux and if I have to build a new system that would have gotten CentOS 8, I expect I'll be using OL8 in the interim, while also keeping an eye on Rocky and AlmaLinux. I'll also be keeping an ear open for those new no/low-cost options Red Hat talked about for RHEL.
for me rhel and OL are already a risk, RH's policy has been understood and stable, but not now it is a risk. Even the success of Rocky and AlmaLinux will not add any points to rhel, and even recently I was thinking about buying rhel. probably won't look towards rhel company anymore. in one step, she crossed out all her achievements. Whatever the streem is, this is a risk that I'm not ready to take.

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2021/01/23 04:35:54

CentOS Streams was a Brain Dead idea that some moron in Red Hat came up with to utilize the CentOS Community to become a Red Hat Army to pre-test the next RHEL release before RH released it. It is not enough to have an army living on the "Bleeding Edge" with Fedora, now RH wants the huge CentOS community to pre-test the next RHEL version in a "Rolling Release" with "CentOS Streams". Instead of trying to figure out how a HUGE Community the size of the CentOS Community might react to the idea of Red Hat trying to conscript them into this plan, that everyone one of us will simply be compliant pawns, and to snap our heels together and salute because RH has issued such a proclamation; what Red Hat got was an insurrection on their hands. Suddenly they are now trying to back peddle as fast as they can before this whole thing blows up in their face: "CentOS Streams as it exists today is not what it will look like on Jan 1st 2022"; "CentOS Streams" is an 'evolving' idea"; "now you can use up to 16 development servers for FREE", yet their own website has not even been updated to show any of this, nor have they figured out what to do with people like me who runs a research grade workstation, and a few networked backup computer servers in a 4 computer network who simply wants a STABLE OS.

In short this announcement was poorly planned, poorly thought out, and poorly prepared for. The infrastructure for such a rollout should have already been in place, there should have been a lot more time than one year to prepare for it etc. At the very least Red Hat should have simply have left the CentOS Community alone, and introduced "CentOS Streams" as something for some disaffected Refuseniks from the Fedora Project who feel they have given too much of their blood by living on the "Bleeding Edge" and who now want something a lot more stable than Fedora.

Heads should roll over at Red Hat over this debacle.

owl102

Post by owl102 » 2021/01/23 07:16:58

desertcat wrote:
2021/01/23 04:35:54
It is not enough to have an army living on the "Bleeding Edge" with Fedora, now RH wants the huge CentOS community to pre-test the next RHEL version in a "Rolling Release" with "CentOS Streams".
I agree completely, instead of mis-using users to stabilize Fedora and RHEL they should keep Fedora and CentOS Stream in-house only. #stopfedora #stopcentosstream

:roll:
Suddenly they are now trying to back peddle as fast as they can before this whole thing blows up in their face: "CentOS Streams as it exists today is not what it will look like on Jan 1st 2022"; "CentOS Streams" is an 'evolving' idea";
This is no suddenly backpeddling. This is what they tell us since the very beginning of CentOS Streams.
nor have they figured out what to do with people like me who runs a research grade workstation, and a few networked backup computer servers in a 4 computer network who simply wants a STABLE OS.
Yes! I want my STABLE OS for FREE, NOW, you morons from RH!

:roll:
some moron in Red Hat
Calling some of the RH stuff "moron" just because you don't what you want from them anymore for free is a bold move.
German speaking forum for Fedora and CentOS: https://www.fedoraforum.de/

jmclnx

Post by jmclnx » 2021/01/24 17:45:02

Yes! I want my STABLE OS for FREE
Well I would like a free house :)

Last time I read the GPL, Red Hat can sell their product as long as the Source Code is available, which they do. So it is their company and they can run the business as they see fit. But yes, they could have handled it better, maybe EOL in 2023 or 2024 ?

As for the change I have no opinion, I went to Steam and for me it fixed a SELINUX issue I was struggling with, so for me it was a good thing.

durchd8.de

Post by durchd8.de » 2021/01/26 21:32:08

Cross posting, well just because its such great news imho:

https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/ope ... ement-week

rliegh

Post by rliegh » 2021/01/27 00:11:25

durchd8.de wrote:
2021/01/26 21:32:08

That is great news! I can't wait to see how things shake out with Rocky, Alma, etc (and, of course, Stream as well)

durchd8.de

Post by durchd8.de » 2021/01/27 17:07:47

rliegh wrote:
2021/01/27 00:11:25
durchd8.de wrote:
2021/01/26 21:32:08

That is great news! I can't wait to see how things shake out with Rocky, Alma, etc (and, of course, Stream as well)
"Semi-official" just hot off the plate today:
"We are going to announce the Beta release in a few days. You can sign up for (almost) instant email notification on almalinux.org. We will also publish the announcement on this channel so you will have an opportunity to test it very soon."