What do you think of the recent Red Hat announcement about CentOS Linux/Stream?

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support

What do you think of the recent Red Hat announcement about CentOS Linux/Stream?

I can use either CentOS Linux or Stream and it makes no difference to me
12%
I will switch reluctantly to CentOS Stream but I'd rather not
6%
I depend on CentOS Linux 8 and its stability and now I need a new alternative
22%
I love the idea of CentOS Stream and can't wait to use it
8%
I'm off to a different distribution before CentOS 8 sunsets at the end of 2021
20%
I feel completely betrayed by this decision and will avoid Red Hat solutions in future
32%

Total votes: 142

DrunkenPanda2000

Re: What do you think of the recent Red Hat announcement about CentOS Linux/Stream?

Post by DrunkenPanda2000 » 2021/02/03 13:15:21

To me it all depends on autodesk`s position.
If autodesk/Hoiudini continieu to support centos-stream then centos-stream is excellent as a workstation 4 me.

chrismair

Re: What do you think of the recent Red Hat announcement about CentOS Linux/Stream?

Post by chrismair » 2021/02/05 17:26:59

"I feel completely betrayed by this decision and will avoid Red Hat solutions in future"

Precisely describes my situation and this is what I've voted for.

In the mean time I've moved my personal servers to Debian and I will advise my clients that are on CentOS Linux to move to another distribution depending on their current situation as well.

A lot are running Ubuntu as well, so they can consolidate on that one. Some are moving to Oracle Linux. For the ones that are hosting on AWS anyway,
Amazon Linux is an interesting offering.

I've been recommending RHEL to clients that asked for payed/professional support for many years. This is all in the past now. I'll point them to Canonical's or Amazon's offerings in the future. I also cancelled my plans to renew my long expired RHCE and deleted my Red Hat account.

I just cannot trust a company that throws 1 million CentOS Linux users under the bus to sell 1000 RHEL subscription and calls everyone that points out how badly all this was handled a freeloader.

-- Chris.

jimbux

Post by jimbux » 2021/02/13 21:11:03

DrunkenPanda2000 wrote:
2021/02/03 13:15:21
To me it all depends on Autodesk`s position.
If Autodesk/Houdini continue to support centos-stream then centos-stream is excellent as a workstation 4 me.
I'm keen to follow any developments in this regard. DrunkenPanda, if you learn anything new, please post your findings! Thx.

jmacdougca

Post by jmacdougca » 2021/02/16 23:16:33

I am looking forward to embracing change and staying on the leading edge of open source enterprise technology. I was surprised to see my vote is in the minority group of 6% exciting for the change.
Start less finish more

canoodler

Post by canoodler » 2021/02/17 20:28:23

if it CentOS Stream sucks... this forum will have to be renamed users "Debian 10 as a server forum" ;)

installed RedHat rhel-8.3-x86_64-dvd.iso once... and it installs like CentOS BUT... it installed Gnome3 "per default" (maybe should have uncheckd a box somewhere?) which is not what admins want in a rock solid server OS that should follow UNIX KISS and software-minimalism principles

jlehtone

Post by jlehtone » 2021/02/18 08:18:28

canoodler wrote:
2021/02/17 20:28:23
UNIX KISS and software-minimalism principles
The content of RHEL seems to deviate from those.

The installer defaults -- server OS is for the I Know What I Do folks. Since when do they accept defaults?

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2021/02/18 11:59:42

The default, I think, is server GUI and has been on RH for awhile. You have to uncheck that and check minimal install. They crippled the curses based install long ago, considering it an improvement.
New users should check the FAQ and Read Me First pages

gjakob

Post by gjakob » 2021/02/21 08:38:30

First of all I want to mention that in principle I really like the idea behind CentOS Stream. Shortly after the announcement was made that the support for CentOS Linux 8 will be discontinued by the end of this year, I converted from Linux 8 to Stream. After two month of usage this is my (intermediate) experience:
  • Pros:
    • No more backlog of one or two months compared to RHEL as with CentOS Linux
    • Partially significantly newer packages, e.g. mesa drivers, NetworkManager, etc.
  • Cons:
    • No source rpms available for Stream under vault.centos.org. The only way I know to get the SRPMs is via git.centos.org with the help of a few shell scripts. I have done this for few cases (e.g. kernel package) and found the way to acquire the source RPMS unnecessarily cumbersome for the user.
    • Currently both the BaseOS and AppStream repos of Stream only provide the latest version of each RPM. This makes downgrades impossible in case that any problems should occur with newer packages. In my opinion this is the biggest (current) downside of using CentOS Stream for daily productive use. I see no comprehensible reason on why this point is handled differently from CentOS Linux 8, since I cannot see any additional effort for the CentOS people in keeping the older packages in the repo. Removing the upgraded packages should rather cause more work! :) So I hope that this disadvantage will be eliminated as soon as possible.

KernelOops

Post by KernelOops » 2021/02/24 17:11:09

Since I refuse to be a beta tester for RedHat... especially since RedHat Stream has no security updates like RHEL, I moved to AlmaLinux,

Their migration script is awesome, converts CentOS 8 to AlmaLinux quickly and efficiently without errors, one reboot and good bye redhat!

https://github.com/AlmaLinux/almalinux-deploy

PS:
Yes it also supports EPEL officially with their new rpm almalinux repo package!
--
R.I.P. CentOS :cry:
--

VeeDub

Post by VeeDub » 2021/02/25 01:01:41

@TrevorH

Would be interested in your view on the RH announcement.

Cheers
VW