having a PXE Server to provision Linux on the bare-metal server, is there a way to enable/ disable PXE boot for on the g

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
pharthiphan

having a PXE Server to provision Linux on the bare-metal server, is there a way to enable/ disable PXE boot for on the g

Post by pharthiphan » 2020/10/05 05:14:09

having a PXE Server to provision Linux on the bare-metal server, is there a way to enable/ disable PXE boot for on the go?

not at the hardware level but at PXE Server end.

the reason I am asking this is that there is a possibility a server gets re-imaged upon reboot if the Boot device is setup to network.

jlehtone

Re: having a PXE Server to provision Linux on the bare-metal server, is there a way to enable/ disable PXE boot for on t

Post by jlehtone » 2020/10/05 06:59:53

DHCP server hands out the "next server": the TFTP and which file to load from it.
DHCP server (config) does choose what it gives to a client.

The default on bare metal is usually to boot from HDD.
I usually override by choosing "BIOS/EFI Boot menu", but that requires console access.

[EDIT]
Furthermore, the executable loaded from TFTP, for example pxelinux.0, might look for
machine-specific config (i.e. boot menu). See https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/em ... EMLCM12199

I have just one menu for all machines, but it's default entry is "Boot from local disk".
In other words, I can't choose entry that runs kickstart install unless I have console access (or change the menu in the TFTP server).
The kickstart entry is set to require authentication; anyone can PXE from disk, but to do reinstall one needs password.

Return to “CentOS 8 - General Support”