Need some IT support to help install VPN server

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
markymark

Need some IT support to help install VPN server

Post by markymark » 2020/07/29 22:05:35

Hi Guys,

May be a simple one for you but i'm struggling to find a good answer but what would be be best supported and secure method to enable me to install a VPN server on my Centos 8 machine. Is there an SSL VPN server? failing this L2TP?

I wish to have this machine on a VM in my subnet to act as the dial in VPN endpoint so that once connected i can also access other servers and resources within the local LAN to which this Centos machine is located.

In the past i have had access to routers which have a VPN server inbuilt and thus take care of this but at the current site i am working at they have a basic firewall so i can only port forward and thus require he Centos VM to handle this.

cheers,

Mark

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Re: Need some IT support to help install VPN server

Post by TrevorH » 2020/07/29 22:41:10

You can find openvpn and strongswan packages in EPEL or libreswan is in the CentOS supplied repos. EPEL also has the userspace tools for wireguard and ELRepo have a kmod-wireguard for the kernel component.

Wireguard seems to be the new trendy thing to use. I've never had to use any of them so no experience.
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 is dead, do not use it.
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

markymark

Re: Need some IT support to help install VPN server

Post by markymark » 2020/07/31 12:55:03

TrevorH wrote:
2020/07/29 22:41:10
You can find openvpn and strongswan packages in EPEL or libreswan is in the CentOS supplied repos. EPEL also has the userspace tools for wireguard and ELRepo have a kmod-wireguard for the kernel component.

Wireguard seems to be the new trendy thing to use. I've never had to use any of them so no experience.
Thanks for this Trevor, all sorted - Open VPN worked perfectly for what it was i was trying to achieve.

I was previously working for an outsourced IT firm but their customers always had a firewall with inbuilt VPN server however this new place i am contracting have a very basic setup and with how times are now reluctant to spend any money.

Thanks to Opensource this was made easy!

Return to “CentOS 8 - General Support”