UPDATES AND UPGRADE OF PACKAGES | CENTOS 8

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
manuelchr

UPDATES AND UPGRADE OF PACKAGES | CENTOS 8

Post by manuelchr » 2020/07/06 05:52:06

Hello, I was trying to update the packages on CentOS 8 with "yum" and I had two doubts:

1. When I use the command: " yum update" in which file o where is the path in which I find this lists of files in which relating a package with a URL of a repository? ( I am supposed that this command only provide a list which is downloaded from a repository address in : /apt/yum.repos.d/ )
2. When I use the command: " yum upgrade" in which file o where is the path when I find this lists of packages (.rpm) that is downloaded after reading the files previously downloaded with the command "yum update".

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: UPDATES AND UPGRADE OF PACKAGES | CENTOS 8

Post by TrevorH » 2020/07/06 09:29:19

There is almost no difference between yum update and yum upgrade. This is not Debian where one does dramatically different things to the other. The only difference is that yum upgrade is like running yum update --setopt obsoletes=1 and since that setting is already the default...

CentOS does not use apt so there is no /apt. Yum repositories are listed in /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo and they can be enabled or disabled from those.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke