Video knowledge requested

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
lightman47

Video knowledge requested

Post by lightman47 » 2020/06/21 20:11:02

- more of a theory question -

My Dell G3 has Intel/Nvidia cards currently running CentOS7 using kmod-nvidia and bumblebee. Of late, I've been reading various posts on a couple forums that seem to suggest that the Nvidia drivers are only used for external displays and not for my laptop screen. As I almost never plug in an external display, I'm now left to wonder if I even need the Nvidia drivers (or bumblebee). What is the truth about video drivers required drivers for my screen? I've got an Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti card (that perhaps I don't even use despite having the drivers for it)? What's driving my laptop display?

The reason I ask is that I am considering installing CentOS 8 on the laptop (my chief machine and network "toolbox") but there's yet no easy/reliable Nvidia driver install for that other than proprietary. (There's also another major 'road-block', the lack of epel gnucash for which I've added a bugzilla comment). If I can get my 1920*1080 (6x9) video on CentOS 8 with standard drivers then 'I am a happy guy'. I don't do intense video gaming, though I do watch movies on it.

I previously thought I understood but suspect that I don't have a clue. Can anyone tell me how this all works?

Thank you.

lightman47

Re: Video knowledge requested

Post by lightman47 » 2020/06/24 18:13:28

OK - I have an additional CentOS 8 machine for which I've found rpmfusion (and epel) nvidia support, and it seems to be updating just fine with nvidia-settings.x86_64. So, if installation goes badly due to video I have that! Now - I await a supported gnucash package (perhaps). I don't wish to venture into 'building'; I've seen too many posts about installations that "go south" and become problematic when the 'builds' get introduced.
---
That was actually part one of a two part question. This is the (longer) second part:

{I understand very little about UEFI/EFI - but I have it - Windows 10 and CentOS 7). Also, 'secure boot' is off for VirtualBox updates.

My G3 laptop was purchased with 128GB SSD (Win 10) and a 1TB (now CentOS 7). I lived with that, but it wasn't my dream. As I write this (anticipation) , I have "dd" imaging (Windows SSD) /dev/sdb drive to my backup server as an ".iso".

The "dream" is to put CentOS (maybe 8) on the SSD in which "I'd live", then 'carve out' a 250GB parittion on the HDD for my Windows 10 image, and let CentOS (maybe 8) have the rest as XFS or whatever for data. Partitioning and all that shouldn't be an issue. My question is all about preserving the UEFI of the Windows image across it's "move".

Can UEFI work with the [MOVED] Windows image? I know it's 'certificate stuff', but that's right up there with firewalls and Selinux. I understand the theory, but no clue how to control it.

Thank you.

bonedome

Re: Video knowledge requested

Post by bonedome » 2020/06/24 22:37:23

Hello
can't help with the video stuff, I've rearranged LVM partitions in the past and it was quite easy if I remember, I just found a tutorial on the web.
The only help I can provide is for gnucash which is available as a flatpak https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnucash.GnuCash