install sing Gnome Boxes

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
grsaunz

install sing Gnome Boxes

Post by grsaunz » 2020/05/30 09:31:47

I an running Fedora 32 on a ASUS laptop.
I want to use the Gnome Boxes as the virtual machine App to run Centos 8 64 Bit.
Boxes lists Centos 8 as one the OSs that is available for install. As far as I can see it is essentially point click and it will install.
tried two options given but for reason not known these did not appear to install as I would have expected. So I down loaded the 64 bit DVD and then manually selected this in the Boxs menu and installed. Apart from the user and password and indicating the Memory and the HD space both of which Were increased a bit not other questions or set up was presented.
When I started Centos I was surprised to find what appears to be a minimal install. There was no applications one normally gets with a workstation type install. There are 14 apps installed. So I looked in the Software App to see what other applications there were. I was surprised to find a very limited number. ie. in Productivity there are only the Libre office apps. in Audio video the only apps showing were Brasero, Rythem Box and Cheese
Firefox ran and connected to the internet so the networking was functioning.
I the decided to install the group "Workstation" using dnf. this i did using the dnf group install and I assume it was don via the internet. It went through the normal process and indicated it had installed, I think is was some 256 Packages.
When I went o look the apps listing on the desktop the apps showing was the same as that after the initial install. None of the Apps I though I had installed as part of the Workstation group were visible.

So you question is should boxes have done he install in such a way that I could have selected the Workstation or Sever configuration at the time Centos was installed.
Since the original iso download was over 7 GB for the Centos 8......DVD1.iso it seems a ot of apps are not used and how do I access them, if needed from the downloaded file
Why is there a very limited number of Apps showing in the Software shop App?
What has happened to the group install of the Workstation Apps?

Any ideas please