CentOS 8 Installation issue when no RAID is configured

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
dcapone2004

CentOS 8 Installation issue when no RAID is configured

Post by dcapone2004 » 2020/05/16 15:54:04

I have been attempting to install CentOS 8 on a Dell PowerEdge R620 server. I have successfully installed CentOS 8 on very similarly configured servers in the past and what seems to be different about this configuration is that I am not using any type of RAID. I have attempted to used a Dell Perc H310 and configured every drive in Non-RAID mode and get an installation error. I have also swapped out the H310 for a LSI 9207 HBA and get an error the moment the installer loads as well.

However, if I put the H310 back in and configure 2 of the drives in the server for RAID1, I am suddenly able to install CentOS 8 perfectly fine.

When watching the installer boot, I see a notice about mdmonitor.service failing to start.

I have attempted to go to the debug of the install and ran dd on the drives 80000 count of /dev/zero with 512 byte size to ensure their wasn't an existing with the drives have an existing hardware RAID configuration on them that the installer was/is trying to pick up. I'm hoping someone might have some suggestions for me.

The most useful error info in the more info box is

….helpers.disk.MDBiosRaidDevicePopulator object at 0x7fbc53021c50

TypeError: SynchronizeABCMeta argument after ** must be a mapping, not NoneType

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Re: CentOS 8 Installation issue when no RAID is configured

Post by TrevorH » 2020/05/16 16:05:13

Try dd'ing the other end of the disk as metadata is often on the end, not the start, of the disk. So dd has a skip=$blocks, point that at a few thousand before the end of the disk and splat over that.

BTW, an H310 is a rubbish RAID card. Although it's hardware RAID, it has no cache memory on board so writes will be very slow if you use RAID 5.
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 is dead, do not use it.
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

dcapone2004

Re: CentOS 8 Installation issue when no RAID is configured

Post by dcapone2004 » 2020/05/17 02:35:33

Thanks Trevor, this worked. Granted I still think RH or the CentOS team should correct an issue where leftover RAID metadata prevents an installation from happening.

Regarding the H310... My whole issue was because I was trying to NOT use RAID. What is your experience with the H310 when the drives are configured in NON-RAID mode? How does it compare to the LSI 9207 HBA? These are the options we are evaluating now for NON-RAID use.

Return to “CentOS 8 - General Support”