CentOS Installer doesnt detect my raid array

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
Luis-L

CentOS Installer doesnt detect my raid array

Post by Luis-L » 2020/05/13 17:23:25

I wanted to install centos but the installer simply doesnt see my array. The drive selection is just empty my array doesnt show when I use lsblk.

My raid controller is a "Adaptec ASR-5405" my array is 500GB

under a different distro lspci -nn has the output "01:00.0 RAID bus controller \[0104\]: Adaptec AAC-RAID \[9005:0285\] (rev 09)"

Is there something I have to do before my array gets detected or is there no support for my raid controller?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: CentOS Installer doesnt detect my raid array

Post by TrevorH » 2020/05/13 17:27:16

That controller is supported by the aacraid kernel module and Red Hat removed that from RHEL 8. The ELRepo third party yum repo supplies a kmod-aacraid which will add support for it back by supplying the kernel module. If you aim to install on devices managed by this controller then you'll need to work out how to supply kmod-aacraid to the installer as a Driver Update Disk - ELRepo probably have some instructions on how to do that.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

oldshield

Post by oldshield » 2020/10/25 23:42:10

You know. I am using decommed servers for a lab, so my hardware is not junk.
Multiprocessor Xeon boxes, with minimum 48g of ram and multi-terabyte raid arrays.

I had to install 6 on one server which has the adaptec sas raid cards due to this issue and may attempt an upgrade.

Then my other boxes are using areca 6gb/sec card with a 24tb array on it and had to settle for centos7.

I am assuming that if i do an inplace upgrade the controller will still be seen???

If not, the development team should leave the drivers for these older cards in place. There are those of us who have older but excellent hardware that would like to breathe new life into them. For instance my box with the areca card is going to be my devops lab.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2020/10/26 12:14:08

I had to install 6 on one server which has the adaptec sas raid cards due to this issue and may attempt an upgrade.
That won't help and probably won't work. The support is a provided by a kernel module and if you install 8 then you have to use the kernel from 8 to make it work and since that doesn't contain the support for your controller then an upgrade from 6 (which doesn't exist in any case) will not work.

There is no upgrade from one CentOS version to another so you cannot upgrade from 6 to 7 or to 8.
If not, the development team should leave the drivers for these older cards in place. There are those of us who have older but excellent hardware that would like to breathe new life into them. For instance my box with the areca card is going to be my devops lab.
And blaming CentOS for this is not the correct thing to do. CentOS is a rebuild of the sources used to produce RHEL. If Red Hat decide to remove support for something from RHEL then CentOS has no choice but to follow suit.

For cards that have been deprecated and removed from the distro kernel by Red Hat, you might want to check the ELRepo third party yum repo which provides several kmod packages that restore the support for old controllers. Hopefully your will be one of them.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

SecCon

Post by SecCon » 2020/10/26 12:50:59

Lol,

I went to CentOS because Debian did not support my NIC. It wasn't intel, so it was crap, pretty much sums up my experience with Debian "support" on that specific topic.

It does not matter what hardware you have, at some point, with some distro, you will have issues.
Windows SysOp - Linux wannabe > CentOS newb.