Installation Issue

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
0xShadow

Installation Issue

Post by 0xShadow » 2020/04/02 07:09:46

I'm having an issue when trying to install CentOS 8, both the stream and nonstream versions. I've used the boot and the dvd version of ISO file, but each time I try to boot it keeps telling me isolinux.bin missing or corrupt. This hasn't always been the case, the first time I tried to boot from a USB I made it past the splash screen, all the way into the install, however I had both HDD's removed temporarily due to missing the post (my keyboard wasn't initializing in time to press F11 for boot menu which has since then been fixed). After that boot, it stopped getting to the splash screen saying /dev/root was not found, and then to this. I have re-downloaded the ISO 5-6 times each, (MD5 hash check's good every time). I have also used 3 different USB Sticks, from different companies.

TL;DR - Getting isolinux.bin missing/corrupt
- MD5 Check good (5+ re-downloads and checks)
- Different USB Port used (I've used all of them)
- 3x Different USB's used.
- Formatted using:
- - Fedora Media Writer
- - Rufus (I've used this one many times, and know how to correctly do it)
- - DD for Windows
- Used a Separate Computer (MD5 Check good still on diff machine, fresh downloads)
- Multiple different variations of the same OS attempted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Machine that will be getting the OS is a Dell PowerEdge R900 - Not sure what else you would need other than the BIOS version but it's 1.2.0 (2009). I'm going to head off for now and I'll check back in the morning. Thinking about getting an entirely new Server in general.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Installation Issue

Post by TrevorH » 2020/04/02 08:23:51

I presume you mean that you checked the sha256sum of the iso not the md5sum since we don't publish md5sums that you could check against...

The error about isolinux.bin being missing or corrupt would occur so early on in the boot process that it means your media is either massively corrupted or your machine just cannot boot from the USB stick correctly. A Dell R900 is quite old so it may be that its BIOS code is not capable of doing so. I'd check to see if there are BIOS updates available for it.

I'd also use dd to copy the iso to a USB stick and make a note of the number of blocks it says it has copied when it finishes. Now use dd to copy that number of blocks back from the USB stick to a different file and then sha256sum the new file and make sure they are the same.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

0xShadow

Re: Installation Issue

Post by 0xShadow » 2020/04/02 20:13:49

You're correct I meant the sha256sum's, my mistake.

I'm leaning toward the machine's BIOS being on an ancient level and I believe I'm going to just Opt for getting a new machine here soon. Numerous things are starting to go bad on it and it's just a ticking time bomb that will eventually not be worth the time put into it.

Thanks for your reply!

I'll let you know how the load goes on the new machine once it comes in.