[SOLVED] - CentOS 8 application on the task bar

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
warron.french

[SOLVED] - CentOS 8 application on the task bar

Post by warron.french » 2020/02/14 04:40:07

So in CentOS 7 and older when you opened multiple applications in a given user session you would see a little task button for each of the applications running.

In CentOS 8, however, I am only ever seeing a single task button on the 'task bar.' If I have Google Chrome open and a terminal window open, I can only ever see a button for Google Chrome, or for Terminal, never both.

Am I missing something? Is there a new learning curve?

Thanks,
Last edited by warron.french on 2020/02/15 07:08:43, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
War

sml

Re: CentOS 8 application on the task bar

Post by sml » 2020/02/14 09:55:19

Probably not quite the same, but there's gnome-shell-extension-window-list in the AppStream repo. Besides, there's Window List Mod and maybe others on the GNOME Shell Extensions website.

warron.french

Re: CentOS 8 application on the task bar

Post by warron.french » 2020/02/15 07:08:16

OK, thanks sml.

I guess it is simply the new look with a big learning curve. I too found the Gnome Shell Extensions, and added them. I even found one for Stock Share monitoring; Stock Extensions.

Problem solved, thankks.
Thanks,
War

KernelOops

Re: [SOLVED] - CentOS 8 application on the task bar

Post by KernelOops » 2020/02/15 08:56:52

You are probably using gnome3 by default, which is a horrible desktop environment and you'll have all sorts of problems like that. Eventually most problems are solved by adding 5-6 extensions, to make things usable.

There are two alternatives that you may want to consider:

1) at the login screen, you can choose the "gnome classic" option. Gnome Classic is a more usable desktop with proper task bars.

2) use an alternative desktop environment, for example Cinnamon is based on gnome but its actually quite impressive, usable and modern.

On a final thought, you may want to consider using Fedora, which is better suited as a desktop, than CentOS.
--
I love my computer - all my friends live there.
--

warron.french

Post by warron.french » 2020/02/17 06:03:31

@KernelOops thanks for all of that good feedback.

I wouldn't mind trying Cinnamon. Is that in an RPM format that I can use, and is it super stable on CentOS? How do I find it for install?

Also, I used CentOS because I have been told by coworkers over many years that it is a very good alternative to Red Hat OSes. Also, how stable is Fedora in comparison to CentOS, I would think it would be significantly less stable in comparison to CentOS, no?
Thanks,
War

KernelOops

Post by KernelOops » 2020/02/17 07:09:02

all three of them Fedora/CentOS/RHEL are related and sponsored by RedHat one way or another. In short, Fedora is the leading edge, comes in Desktop and Server flavours and you can pick and choose various desktop environments (Cinnamon, XFCE, KDE, etc), in short this is the best choice for a modern desktop. Look here for Cinnamon and the rest of them: https://spins.fedoraproject.org/

RHEL (Redhat Enterprise Linux) is the enterprise commercial Linux and probably the go-to solution for everyone who wants the best Linux and a serious company behind it for support.

CentOS is essentially the "free" version of RHEL. You get all the great stability, responsibility and dedication of RHEL in a nice package made by the CentOS project team. Of course there is no support, not even if you report bugs to RedHat, they'll just ignore you or suggest you pay for RHEL.

A most typical use case, is to run Fedora on the desktop where you work, but use CentOS on the servers and application systems.
--
--

Lazlow

Post by Lazlow » 2020/02/18 20:52:15

Last I checked, any one version of Fedora is only supported for 1 year, which is one of the many reasons I left Fedora. So at least once a year you do a new install and learn a new OS. Fedora is generally referred to as bleeding edge and with good reason. Centos support life is now up to 7 (? more) years and (at least for C7 and earlier) it has the exact opposite problem of Fedora. Many of the package versions are/get too old to support current versions of common software.

KernelOops

Post by KernelOops » 2020/02/18 21:18:08

Lazlow, you mention two interesting points, which are not valid, please let me explain:

Fedora has a short support cycle, they support the last two versions (for 13 months per release), but Fedora (unlike RHEL/CentOS) is purpose-made to upgrade itself to the next version with a single reboot. In other words, you don't need to re-install anything. Fedora Magazine has a nice article that show you how easy it is: https://fedoramagazine.org/upgrading-fe ... fedora-31/

Now, about your next point. RHEL/CentOS are enterprise Linux systems, this is important to know because all strange things happen for a reason and that revolves around the word "enterprise". I will give a personal example, when I build a new CentOS server for mail handling, I expect that server to work for the next decade, without a hiccup. I don't care about the "latest version" or "greatest feature", all I care about is stability and reliability. I want that server to run for that decade and then I will scrap it and build a new one based on the next version of CentOS. This is what makes CentOS such a powerful system for me.

Sure, there are issues with versions. For example, the web servers, we scrapped SSL for TLSv1.0 and then we moved to TLSv1.1 and then we scrapped that for TLSv1.2. If CentOS 7 had support for TLSv1.3 I'd still be using CentOS 7. But its time to migrate to TLSv1.3 with HTTP/2, so I've migrated to CentOS 8.

Still reading? heh sorry for the long post.
--
--

Lazlow

Post by Lazlow » 2020/02/18 22:02:41

Even if you no longer have to do a reinstall with Fedora you are still learning a new OS every six months to year(ok 13 months).

I have been running Centos since 5.0(Fedora and RH not RHEL before that) on both servers and Desktops. While it is true that Centos is good about backporting security and hardware support into older versions, the rate of change in computers demands newer versions of many softwares. A easy example with C7 right now, is the python 2.7 situation. C7 has to have 2.7 in order to run but 2.7 is no longer supported. Yes, you can run 3.6 in parallel but you cannot remove 2.7.

jlehtone

Post by jlehtone » 2020/02/18 22:49:05

Lazlow wrote:
2020/02/18 22:02:41
Even if you no longer have to do a reinstall with Fedora you are still learning a new OS every six months to year(ok 13 months).
* Have to learn[1]
* Bleeding[1]
* All applications are not nicely packaged for distro X. There are "incoherent sources" and "commercial blobs" that the "work" requires. Even if one has a custom build chain for them, it is a hurdle that you don't want to do too often. Not to mention that some projects stick to specific versions in the name of "reproducibility" and last months.

[1] I might be ok with those. The whole office is not.
Lazlow wrote:
2020/02/18 22:02:41
A easy example with C7 right now, is the python 2.7 situation. C7 has to have 2.7 in order to run but 2.7 is no longer supported. Yes, you can run 3.6 in parallel but you cannot remove 2.7.
Red Hat cannot have 2.7 in RHEL without support. It might be minimal and address only the critical issues, but differs from "unsupported".
The "can run in parallel" was IMHO a big, good step.

KernelOops wrote:
2020/02/17 07:09:02
A most typical use case, is to run Fedora on the desktop where you work, but use CentOS on the servers and application systems.
True, unless you desire to maintain a homogenous platform.

Return to “CentOS 8 - General Support”