Issues with running dnf upgrade, complains about missing metadata for modular package

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
peeqi

Issues with running dnf upgrade, complains about missing metadata for modular package

Post by peeqi » 2020/02/13 07:07:43

Hi,

We have a system running CentOS 8 that is having trouble running dnf upgrade. If we run dnf upgrade we get the following error:
Running transaction check
No available modular metadata for modular package 'oci-systemd-hook-1:0.1.15-2.git2d0b8a3.module_el8.1.0+237+63e26edc.x86_64', it cannot be installed on the system
The downloaded packages were saved in cache until the next successful transaction.You can remove cached packages by executing 'dnf clean packages'.
Error: No available modular metadata for modular package
We've tried running dnf clean all, but the issue still persists. What is the issue here?

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Re: Issues with running dnf upgrade, complains about missing metadata for modular package

Post by TrevorH » 2020/02/13 07:23:04

Are you using a CentOS supplied mirror or do you have your own? If you have your own then be aware that to copy the CentOS supplied one needs special tooling or using rsync to clone the entire CentOS provided one. You cannot run older tools from previous CentOS versions, e.g. reposync, createrepo etc, as they are not module aware and will corrupt the metadata.
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
CentOS 5 has been EOL for nearly 3 years and should no longer be used for anything!
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

peeqi

Re: Issues with running dnf upgrade, complains about missing metadata for modular package

Post by peeqi » 2020/02/13 07:53:58

I am using a centos supplied mirror.

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Post by TrevorH » 2020/02/13 09:55:02

It works for me using a CentOS mirror. I would suggest that you doublecheck that you are since the only reason for this message is corrupted yum metadata. So far the only cases where I've seen this are where someone is using a local copy of a CentOS mirror that's been created using tools other than rsync.
CentOS 5 has been EOL for nearly 3 years and should no longer be used for anything!

peeqi

Post by peeqi » 2020/02/13 12:51:19

This is the output from dnf repolist:

Code: Select all

CentOS-8 - AppStream                                                                                                                                                              25 kB/s | 4.3 kB     00:00     
CentOS-8 - Base                                                                                                                                                                   31 kB/s | 3.8 kB     00:00     
CentOS-8 - Extras                                                                                                                                                                8.7 kB/s | 1.5 kB     00:00     
CentOS/RHEL 7 repository for Elasticsearch Curator 5.x packages                                                                                                                  9.7 kB/s | 1.3 kB     00:00     
Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64                                                                                                                                    31 kB/s |  15 kB     00:00     
repo id                                                                   repo name                                                                                                                        status
AppStream                                                                 CentOS-8 - AppStream                                                                                                             5093  
BaseOS                                                                    CentOS-8 - Base                                                                                                                  2080  
curator-5                                                                 CentOS/RHEL 7 repository for Elasticsearch Curator 5.x packages                                                                    25  
epel                                                                      Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64                                                                                   4732  
extras                                                                    CentOS-8 - Extras                                                                                                                   3
I'll try and disable repos one by one

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Post by TrevorH » 2020/02/13 12:56:33

You definitely shouldn't have EL7 repos on an el8 system.

Also, I don't know what you're using to post with but it strips all carriage returns out of anything you post so it looks like rubbish. I've had to manually edit your posts to restore them.

peeqi

Post by peeqi » 2020/02/13 12:59:53

I've tried disabling all repos except the ones that came with Centos 8, but the error still appears.
Output from dnf repolist after deactivating repos:

repo id       repo name                       status
AppStream     CentOS-8 - AppStream            5093  
BaseOS        CentOS-8 - Base                 2080  
extras        CentOS-8 - Extras               3

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Post by TrevorH » 2020/02/13 13:18:19

Whereever you are pointing to for AppStream is not correct. It should have 5116 packages not 5093.

Lazlow

Post by Lazlow » 2020/02/13 20:43:00

I am wondering if there is not one (or more) bad mirrors out there. Seeing the same issue on my system. Only oddballs are epel-playground, rpmfusion both free and nonfree.

peeqi

Post by peeqi » 2020/02/14 06:43:55

TrevorH wrote:
2020/02/13 13:18:19
Whereever you are pointing to for AppStream is not correct. It should have 5116 packages not 5093.

> cat /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-AppStream.repo
[AppStream]
name=CentOS-$releasever - AppStream
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=AppStream&infra=$infra
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/$contentdir/$releasever/AppStream/$basearch/os/
gpgcheck=1
enabled=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-centosofficial
Anyway, i removed the 'oci-systemd-hook' package to be done with it. Still no idea what caused it or how to resolve it for future reference.

Return to “CentOS 8 - General Support”