Help - Install net-snmp-perl

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
Movah

Help - Install net-snmp-perl

Post by Movah » 2020/02/07 19:11:31

Trying to get some pre-requisites installed for Netdisco on CentOS8 but can't seem to get net-snmp-perl installed. Any suggestions on where and how to get this installed? or possibly is there an alternative that maybe I already have installed?
On Fedora/Red-Hat:
root:~# yum install perl-core perl-DBD-Pg net-snmp-perl net-snmp-devel openssl-devel curl postgresql-server postgresql-contrib make automake gcc
Here is what I get when trying to install. All of the others on the list above installed.

[Ndisco@Mynet.com ~]$ sudo dnf install -y net-snmp-perl
Last metadata expiration check: 0:10:02 ago on Fri 07 Feb 2020 09:52:40 AM EST.
No match for argument: net-snmp-perl
Error: Unable to find a match: net-snmp-perl

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Help - Install net-snmp-perl

Post by TrevorH » 2020/02/07 20:21:49

It appears to be in EPEL

Code: Select all

perl-Net-SNMP.noarch                6.0.1-25.epel8.playground.1                    epel-playground
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Movah

Post by Movah » 2020/02/07 21:15:56

Thanks for reply, so installing the epel would also get that?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2020/02/07 21:42:38

EPEL (more exactly "Fedora Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux) is a Red Hat sponsored third party yum repo that supplies things that are not in the main distro. You need to install the epel-release package that's in the CentOS extrtas repo and then you will have acsess to about another 4600 packages int he main EPEL repo with about the same number currently in the epel-testing and epel-playground repos (respectively less and less tested) both of which are disabled by default. So the process is install epel-release, yum install the package you want.
Use the FAQ Luke

Movah

Post by Movah » 2020/02/10 13:21:53

Thanks for the help, finally got it.

just FYI I was getting the error below, and had to run "dnf config-manager --set-enabled PowerTools" before and then the install worked.

yum --enablerepo=epel install perl-Net-SNMP.noarch
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:17 ago on Mon 10 Feb 2020 08:18:07 AM EST.
Error:
Problem: conflicting requests
- nothing provides perl(Digest::SHA1) >= 1.02 needed by perl-Net-SNMP-6.0.1-25.el8.1.noarch
(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages or '--nobest' to use not only best candidate packages)

sml

Post by sml » 2020/02/10 17:29:17

Digest::SHA1 is in PowerTools:

yum --enablerepo=PowerTools,epel install perl-Net-SNMP

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2020/02/10 17:37:08

PowerTools has so much stuff in it that it's worth permanently enabling as the OP did.
Use the FAQ Luke

lowen

Post by lowen » 2020/06/03 16:12:23

NOTE: as of CentOS 8.3 the following is NOT required; net-snmp-perl is now in AppStream

Ok, so a bit of a necropost here, but since this forum thread comes up high on the list when you search for 'netdisco CentOS 8' I thought I'd reply here.

So, first off, the package "net-snmp-perl" is NOT the same as "perl-Net-SNMP" and this will trip you up trying to get netdisco to build.

The package 'net-snmp-perl' is not built by default in CentOS 8 anymore, and is not in any of the standard repositories. There is a third-party repository with the package, called the 'OKay' repository, but, in my case, I decided to rebuild net-snmp-perl from sources; I've been looking for a good reason to try out building from git.centos.org, and this is a reasonably good test case. I'm not going to muddy things up with lots of comments; this flow should be pretty self-explanatory.

Here's the process:

First, as root, enable EPEL, then:

dnf config-manager --set-enabled PowerTools
dnf group install "Development Tools"
dnf install rpmdevtools rpmlint perl-Expect mariadb-devel perl-core perl-DBD-Pg  openssl-devel postgresql-server postgresql-contrib automake

Installing of 'mysql-devel' will NOT work for building net-snmp-perl; you'll get an error related to my_bool.

As a normal user (since I'm installing netdisco, I'm using that user; I'm also an rsync junkie, so I use rsync here instead of ln -s or cp -a....) EDIT: also note that the previously posted "~/net-snmp-perl" won't actually work correctly; using `pwd` is better:

cd
git clone https://git.centos.org/centos-git-common.git
git clone https://git.centos.org/rpms/net-snmp.git
mkdir ~/bin
#Local ~/bin is typically in $PATH
rsync -avHAX centos-git-common/ ~/bin
cd net-snmp
#We need to checkout the 'c8' branch.  There are other branches!
git checkout c8
get_sources.sh
rpmbuild --define "%_topdir `pwd`" --define '%netsnmp_check 0' -ba SPECS/net-snmp.spec
As root again (or of course using sudo is fine):

cd /home/netdisco/net-snmp/RPMS/x86_64
yum install net-snmp-5.8*.rpm net-snmp-perl-5.8*.rpm net-snmp-devel-5.8*.rpm net-snmp-libs-5.8*.rpm net-snmp-agent-libs-5.8*.rpm
Your build of netdisco should then Just Work. And, yes, I know I'm mixing yum and dnf willy-nilly.....and after this process you'll need to exclude net-snmp* from yum updates and you'll need to keep track of those yourself. You might be able to automate that, use createrepo and friends, and have your own local repository.... all of which are left as an exercise for the reader. Thanks go out to multiple people on the centos mailing list and elsewhere for pieces of this recipe.....

Enjoy!
EDITED 2020-12-16 to make a bit more clear which bin directory is being referenced.
--
Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"