dnf upgrade and dnf update fails

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
BillHudacek

Re: dnf upgrade and dnf update fails

Post by BillHudacek » 2020/12/08 20:25:42

scottro wrote:
2020/12/08 19:21:55
At any rate, there is no in place upgrade supported by CentOS. This is a CentOS forum, so though folks may think it is a matter of moderators sticking together, whatever article was used to attempt the upgrade is something by the article's author, that may have worked for them. So, while it may seem snarky, saying contact them is actually the most logical response. Trevor does more work than any of the other mods on this forum, and spends a great deal of his spare time helping those who post here by answering questions.
I hear what you are saying. I don't know you or trevor - I see I actually joined before either of you :-)

The only issue here for me is that the centlinux site doesn't have any kind of warning or disclaimer. There's even a comment by someone who had the same error message as me - but looks like he was able to work around it.

I just restored /boot, /etc, /var, and /usr from my backups. Then ran 'rsync' to delete files that weren't on the backups (so had been created since the backup). Now at least it will boot, though I obviously have a clean reinstall in my near future.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2020/12/08 21:09:00

The difference is that this centlinux site has nothing at all to do with CentOS.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

lj73815

Post by lj73815 » 2021/02/25 15:06:38

For years now I have always chosen Centos 7 as the OS of choice for my baremetal OS installs.

The idea was to set the foundation for installing VM/container management software on top (docker, openstack, openshift, k8s, etc).

There are customizations (mainly set up of disks/partitions/LVMs) I have made over time that make a complete OS replace very difficult if not absurd.

I am just now realizing there is no direct support from Centos for in-place upgrades.

So my choice of Centos OS for my baremetal installs is perhaps not the most suitable given this limitation.

I have resisted the urge to replace CentOS to another OS since I highly value the stability, security and LTS support from the OS.

I am now considering replacing CentOS with Debian given it has similar attributes but also supports in-place upgrades.

If there is a "recommended" approach to performing in-place upgrades from 7->8 ->9 -> X going forward, I would greatly appreciate and choose to stay with CentOS as my OS of choice for baremetal installs.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, I am also just considering replacing Centos OS with a VM Hypervisor OS (VMware and/or ProxMox) as the baremetal OS.
Any CentOS SW requirements would then be done using immutable CentOS VMs.

Hopefully, using this approach, I am no longer at risk of having to perform in-place upgrades on my baremetal OS.

For FW OS, I use pfsense, and have never had any issues with upgrades on that OS.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2021/02/26 12:56:35

There is no upgrade from one CentOS major version to another.

In any case, the question is rather moot at this point as CentOS 8 now goes EOL at the end of this year and there will be no CentOS 9.
Use the FAQ Luke

jlehtone

Post by jlehtone » 2021/02/26 17:31:39

However, CentOS Linux 7 should still have EOL in 2024. Current installs are not in dire need of upgrade.
lj73815 wrote:
2021/02/25 15:06:38
There are customizations (mainly set up of disks/partitions/LVMs) I have made over time that make a complete OS replace very difficult if not absurd.
FAIR principles* (for research data management) suggest rich metadata. That idea applies to system config too; extensive documentation of all customizations is quite necessary in order to avoid absurd situation. Furthermore, FAIR emphasizes machine-actionable metadata (and data). While the objective there is something different, that concept is good for config management too; one could use suitably organized "documentation" to automatically apply/recreate customizations on pristine system. After all, any system can break. What is your recovery procedure?

* https://www.go-fair.org/fair-principles/

marc.mengel

Post by marc.mengel » 2021/12/01 15:38:30

So, I foolishly also tried the "upgrade" instructions and am in a similar boat. It looks to me like
what we need to make these dependencies sane is "rpm" version 4.12.0 installed, however there
is not currently a built one out there; so I'm trying to build one from source... which is making me
first install about a dozen -devel rpms. If I get this to work I'll post it; but I should have just made
centos-8 install media... sigh.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2021/12/01 18:24:10

No, what you need to do is an install from scratch. There is NO UPGRADE.
Use the FAQ Luke