Combining dual boot with VM

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
MartinR

Combining dual boot with VM

Post by MartinR » 2020/01/09 11:54:11

My workstation runs CentOS 7.7, updated daily. I run a number of virtual machines as required for test purposes. When CentOS 8 came out I created a VM for it which now is left running continuously and so is also updated daily. Being a bit concerned about support for older machines being dropped, I reused a spool disk to create a native instance of C8. I can now boot happily into either C7 or C8.

(1) To remove the need to reboot regularly for update purposes I would like to be able to run the native C8 as a VM. I've not been able to get the native installation to boot as a VM. Is there any way to modify my native C8 instance to be bootable within a VM?

(2) When I created the native C8 instance it set up it's own version of the boot files (largely since the other disks were disconnected as a precaution). When the full system was brought back the C7 boot mechanism found the C8 system and added it to the boot.cfg file. Great - easy to select the image, but (there's always a but) when I boot the C8 system using the C7 boot mechanism and do an update, it does not update the C7 boot, and so I continue to run on the old kernel. Easy to patch but a bit annoying if I forget. Any suggestions?

Low priority, this is a test machine.

MartinR

Re: Combining dual boot with VM

Post by MartinR » 2020/01/21 09:01:41

Bump

Return to “CentOS 8 - General Support”