Stream 9 in VMWare Workstation

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
tommiy

Stream 9 in VMWare Workstation

Post by tommiy » 2022/05/26 21:41:49

Hello, I downloaded the DVD iso and proceeded to provide the same responses as I do when I install RHEL9 on a VMWare workstation VM. I'm using server with GUI which is the default. At the end of the installation and at reboot the machine goes to a command line. Their is no GUI provided. If I do an update at the commandline upon reboot the machine just enters a shutdown state and does not even get to a commandline. Thinking the image was corrupt I've downloaded it again. A reinstall gets the exact same results. No Gui, command line only, and then no boot after a update. If I install RHEL9 with exactly the same parameters it boots fine. Is Centos Stream 9 DVD have significant issues and is unstable that it does not even grun properly or am I doing some thing wrong? I should mention, if I run startx prior to doing an update I get a GUI but every option gets a error of opps some thing went wrong. I'm off to try Rocky now given stream just does not seem to work.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Stream 9 in VMWare Workstation

Post by TrevorH » 2022/05/26 21:57:37

Rocky doesn't yet have a 9 though I see that Alma posted 5 hours ago that 9 was available.

Otherwise, welcome to the Stream experience. Sign here to be a beta tester for Red Hat!
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

tommiy

Post by tommiy » 2022/05/26 22:23:28

Thanks. An install of alma9 with the same options selected boots and starts fine. Seems its either the dvd iso or the actual config for stream that is very broken. I'll try an online install instead of a dvd install and see if that makes any difference.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2022/05/26 22:27:58

Stream 9 will currently be an advance view of what will be RHEL 9.1 when it arrives in about 5.5 months time.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke