Operating system backup - HELP

Support for security such as Firewalls and securing linux
jlehtone

Re: Operating system backup - HELP

Post by jlehtone » 2021/10/29 10:26:25

Before we go to that ... how will you reboot the machine when it has crashed? If you can't initiate boot, then having anything to boot from is useless.

How will you select where to boot from? If you can't choose, then it will always attempt to load from same media.

There are physical devices: external KVM or integrated (e.g. Dell iDRAC, HPE iLO) to access remotely power switch and BIOS / boot loader, which allow the "reboot and choose". Similarly, hypervisors can offer similar management access to VMs. If you don't have access to any such, then you can't boot after you server has crashed.

I do agree with TrevorH; a dump of a volume is hardly manageable form of "backup". A reinstall with config management is much more compact and flexible solution. One does not need to store config in pendrive next to server. One can push it through ssh into the server.

Whoever

Re: Operating system backup - HELP

Post by Whoever » 2021/10/30 02:44:06

Doesn't your server have any kind of "lights out" management?

Personally, I would never host anything on bare metal. Instead, the services would be hosted on a VM, which can be easily backed up and restored. The host can be firewalled to prevent any kind of compromise, while the services on the VM would be accessible to the world (assuming that is what is required for your server).

I doubt your claim that you can't use any GUI programs. You should be able to install the necessary packages to run a VNC session and then tunnel the connection to the VNC session over SSH/Putty.