Kernel does not appear to recognise NX CPU flag

Support for security such as Firewalls and securing linux
Ghepardo

Kernel does not appear to recognise NX CPU flag

Post by Ghepardo » 2020/10/16 15:40:49

I am trying to harden a CentOS 7.6 VM. The kernel does not appear to recognise the NX CPU flag.

The system: Running on a VMware host with Intel Xeon CPUs. The VM is configured to 'Expose the NX/XD flag to guest'. I do indeed see it on the guest CPUs: /proc/cpuinfo shows 'nx' amongst the flags.

The issue: I understand that the dmesg output should show a line containing "NX (Execute Disable) protection: active". There is no such line. I have also checked /var/log/messages and 'journalctl -b'. I have also checked for "XD" and "protection". All fail to show anything. And /proc/cmdline does not contain a "noexec" setting.

From Googling, I understand that there is no longer a kernel parameter to control this, but that support for NX is enabled by default if the CPU supports it. What am I doing wrong here, in failing to find it in dmesg?

BShT

Re: Kernel does not appear to recognise NX CPU flag

Post by BShT » 2020/10/16 17:50:44

look at BIOS

and update your Centos

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Re: Kernel does not appear to recognise NX CPU flag

Post by TrevorH » 2020/10/16 18:38:35

It'll also be listed in /proc/cpuinfo in the flags line which should contain " nx " if it's supported. If it does not list it then I would think this is a VMWare problem not passing it through to the guest. Did you do a virtual power cycle of the VM after changing the VMWare settings to enable it?

And CentOS 7.6 is 2 whole point release behind the current version, soon to be 3 as 7.9 is being built and tested as I type. Your system is out of date, has several high severity security vulnerabilities and needs to be updated using yum update as your system is currently more than 2 years out of date.
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 is dead, do not use it.
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

Return to “CentOS 7 - Security Support”