error while trying to activate the new network :

Issues related to configuring your network
simpleoldman

error while trying to activate the new network :

Post by simpleoldman » 2023/02/08 16:49:47

hello everyone :

it's been 2 days that i'm trying hard to create a new network with nmcli (centos installed in vmware), however i'm getting an when i'm trying to activate it :

1) i created a network ens32 using : nmcli con add con-name ens32 type ethernet ifname ens32 ipv4.method manual ipv4.address 10.10.10.4/24 ipv4.gateway 10.10.10.1

2)i used : nmcli con show => the connection was listed

3)when i used : nmcli con up ens32 =>> i got the following error : No suitable device found for this connection (device ens33 not available because profile is not compatible with device (mismatching interface name)).
4) i searched everywhere to solve the issue : reinstalled the NetworkManager , trying to refresh the page using systemctl restart NetworkManager , found a random solution in this link : https://access.redhat.com/discussions/6278791 , i refreshed the network systemctl restart nework.service and i got also an error

someone please could help me to solve this issue , i need for a project

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: error while trying to activate the new network :

Post by TrevorH » 2023/02/08 16:57:41

If you run ip link show then what interface names are listed? It needs to be one of those or you will get the error you got - i.e. you used the wrong interface name.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

simpleoldman

Post by simpleoldman » 2023/02/09 08:38:23

first , thanks for your precious answer ,it helped me to clarify more my idea ,i found somehow the answer , i didn't add more NAT network adapter to my vmware , which was making errors , once i did the network adapters was created successfully without passing trough the Centos nmcli , otherwise i would like to know more about the your last answer to understand more the concept ,which will be appreciated .

jlehtone

Post by jlehtone » 2023/02/09 15:42:31

simpleoldman wrote:
2023/02/08 16:49:47
ens32 =>> i got the following error : No suitable device found for this connection (device ens33 not available because profile is not compatible with device (mismatching interface name)).
The ens32 is not ens33.

The kernel has interface devices.

The command ip is from set of tools named iproute2. They have been around a good while.
The ip link show lists "links", interface devices.

The nmcli d s (short for nmcli device state) lists interface devices.
(There is also nmcli device show that includes more details about the devices.)

The NetworkManager's configuration has connections that relate to interfaces.