Where does "wbinfo --ping-dc" get the domain controller from?

Issues related to configuring your network
TypoSpotter

Where does "wbinfo --ping-dc" get the domain controller from?

Post by TypoSpotter » 2022/02/23 13:51:09

I'm currently trying to fix an issue with Samba AD (Ubuntu ADS servers and Centos client), but this thread is a very specific question: how does the command "wbinfo --ping-dc" (alternatively "wbinfo -P") determine the domain controller?

When I enter the command on my Centos client, I get this:

Code: Select all

# wbinfo -P
checking the NETLOGON for domain[DOMAIN] dc connection to "" failed
failed to call wbcPingDc: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
Where [DOMAIN] is the domain name

How has wbinfo decided that the DC is "" (empty string)?

I had encountered this error message before while trying to resolve something with different Centos clients in the past ( viewtopic.php?f=47&t=78309 ), which I resolved by using the commands:

Code: Select all

# authconfig --enablewindbindauth --update
# authconfig --smbservers=ads2.domain.company.com --update
During that issue, these commands achieved both resolving the wbinfo -P empty string, and achieved what I wanted to do (allow wheel group users to authenticate successfully using AD integrated by pam winbind). This time, however, it has no effect. It seems the Centos client this time is accepting my authconfig commands, but does not appear to be modifying any files: the /etc/nsswitch.conf file and all files in /etc/pam.d/ show no signs of modification. And wbinfo -P still shows "". I have considered manually editing the relevant file, but I do not know which file that is.

So how does wbinfo get the DC name for this particular command? Is it from a config file somewhere on the system?

As I was typing this, my colleagues now tell me that everything is working. I have checked wbinfo -P and that now returns the name of the server and is successful. So everything appears to be working now, but I still wonder if anyone knows the answer to the question?