Two additional eth interfaces created after I configured two SR-IOV VFs

Issues related to configuring your network
rade

Two additional eth interfaces created after I configured two SR-IOV VFs

Post by rade » 2021/05/30 20:54:18

Hi,

I tried to create two SR-IOV VFs on PF eth6 interface, but after I did it two additional inerfaces eth8 and eth9 appeared in #ip link show, and always one interface shows link DOWN, another UP. I suppose this is not normal behavior?

I am using Dell PowerEdge R740 server with Dell manufactured XXV710-2 25Gbps cards. I attach operation log, as well as firmware& driver for XXV710.
In BIOS I already enabled Virtualization Technology, Global SR-IOV and Device level SR-IOV.
GRUB file contains intel_iommu=on.

According to previous experience this is not normal behavior, SR-IOV shouldn't create new eth interfaces, but only VFs. But I can't find root cause.
Attachments
driver&firmware_ver.txt
(573 Bytes) Downloaded 78 times
create 2xVFs.txt
(3.83 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

jlehtone

Re: Two additional eth interfaces created after I configured two SR-IOV VFs

Post by jlehtone » 2021/05/31 06:46:51

I have seen new interfaces to show up when VF's are added. Also a Dell, but a Broadcom card.
We had some net trouble and did drop the VF's, so can't check any more.
On another Dell (with Broadcom) I have "partitions", not VF's.

Note: you have used both 'ifconfig' and 'ip'. The 'ifconfig' was supposed to deprecate and be replaced with the 'ip' two decades ago.
Furthermore, you use ad hoc commands to configure network. That is not persistent config that survives reboot.

Which service do you use to config net on boot? NetworkManager.service or network.service?
If you have NM running, then (A) it might do things and (B) one should use NM to configure.