Network is unreachable in CentOS 7 after disabling Network Manager for cPanel + restart

Issues related to configuring your network
Daniel352

Network is unreachable in CentOS 7 after disabling Network Manager for cPanel + restart

Post by Daniel352 » 2021/02/05 04:13:27

have a server from OVH (SoYouStart technically), it's running Proxmox and the VM is running CentOS.

I followed the instructions here and then here to disable the network manager, I installed cPanel and got it working fine. I added extra IP addresses then restarted the server. Now when I try to ping 8.8.8.8 on the server through proxmox's console I get 'Network is unreachable', and I'm unable to connect to the server remotely.

My ifcfg-eth0 file:

Code: Select all

TYPE="Ethernet"
PROXY_METHOD="none"
BROWSER_ONLY="no"
BOOTPROTO="none"
DEFROUTE="yes"
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL="no"
NAME="eth0"
UUID=...
DEVICE="eth0"
ONBOOT="yes"
HWADDR=My Virtual Mac from OVH
IPADDR=IP assigned to VPS
PREFIX="32"
GATEWAY=Correct gateway for my OVH server
DNS1=8.8.8.8
DNS2=8.8.4.4
When I run ifconfig -a (Shortening to relevant parts):

Code: Select all

eth0: ...
inet IPOfVPS netmask 255.255.255.255 broadcast: IPOfVPS

eth0cp1-4:
inet IPs netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast: IP but with .255 as the last number
I had to retype everything manually since I can't copy/paste from proxmox's console, but the relevant information should be there. If anymore information is needed, let me know in a comment.

To be clear: Networking was working until I restarted, which I only did after finishing the cPanel install and adding additional IPs.

FIX: OVH/SYS gives bad advice for using the 'network' service - don't set your gateway to your main IP with .254 as the last number, set it to that VM's IP with .254 as the last number.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Network is unreachable in CentOS 7 after disabling Network Manager for cPanel + restart

Post by TrevorH » 2021/02/05 15:40:57

You almost certainly need to ask OVH since their network setup is about the most non-standard that it's possible to get. However, a quick look and I see you have PREFIX=32 which translates to a netmask of 255.255.255.255 which means you cannot reach any other ip address from your host at all. That does not look right (but it's OVH!).
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke