How do I enable the wireless network adapter on centos 7 minimal install?

Issues related to configuring your network
Santosi

How do I enable the wireless network adapter on centos 7 minimal install?

Post by Santosi » 2020/10/09 09:03:04

Hii,

I have just installed CentOS 7 over an old windows PC. The CentOS 7 image was of minimal install as I had only 4 GB of pendrive available.

The wifi driver named wlp18s0b1 shows in the list if I do ip link but it's configuration file is not there in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scritps/ so I can't enable this interface using ifup. ifup wlp18s0b1 says the following.

/sbin/ifup: configuration for wlp18s0b1 not found. Usage: ifup

The option nmcli d shows the wifi device wlp18s0b1 listed along with the ethernet card but when I do nmcli conn up it says the following .

Error: unknown connection wlp18s0b1
I am not sure how to bring this device up with nmcli and I don't have any extra network tools such as iw, iwconfig, ifconfig, dhclient available as it was a minimal install.

I only have access to wifi from here so can't use ethernet to install these as well.

Regards,
Santosi

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Re: How do I enable the wireless network adapter on centos 7 minimal install?

Post by TrevorH » 2020/10/09 09:36:22

If it's showing you that you have a wireless interface then it already knows that it exists so you just need to configure it. Since you probably have NetworkManager installed and running, start by using nmcli c show to see what connections it thinks it has. Most likely it's called it something else and the file you need to look at is called something stupid like ifcfg-Wireless_Network_Number_1 (not a real example!).
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 is dead, do not use it.
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

Return to “CentOS 7 - Networking Support”