Bridge creation over WiFi port - disconnects network connection

Issues related to configuring your network
bhkamath

Bridge creation over WiFi port - disconnects network connection

Post by bhkamath » 2020/08/20 16:27:30

Hi,

I have freshly installed CentOS 7 on Intel NUC. The system is configured to work on WiFi port. WiFi port when configured for DHCP, the system receives IP address and I am able connect to the internet.

I now create bridge interface, br0. The br0 is configured for Static/DHCP address; WiFi interface is associated with br0. br0 does not receive IP address nor does it work in case of static IP address assignment.

Network services restart, system reboot none actually helped.

I have attempted to review the configuration and experiences shared on the internet. None really helped in my case.

CLI's tried are

1. Manual creation of interface configurations
2. nmtui
3. brctl
I tried adding WiFi interface into the bridge, br0 device. This resulted into failure.

In case of DHCP configuration, ifconfig output lists interfaces without IP address association.

Any solutions known ? Any troubleshooting tips please ?

Thanks in advance.

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Re: Bridge creation over WiFi port - disconnects network connection

Post by TrevorH » 2020/08/20 16:31:13

For wired connections you have to remove the ip address assignment from the interface, make the interface part of the bridge and assign the ip address etc to the bridge. I am unsure if a wireless connection can be used as a member of a bridge.
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 is dead, do not use it.
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

bhkamath

Re: Bridge creation over WiFi port - disconnects network connection

Post by bhkamath » 2020/08/20 16:44:53

TrevorH wrote:
2020/08/20 16:31:13
For wired connections you have to remove the ip address assignment from the interface, make the interface part of the bridge and assign the ip address etc to the bridge. I am unsure if a wireless connection can be used as a member of a bridge.
Interface and IP address configurations are perfect. I too suspect wireless connection membership with the bridge. Some of the discussions on the internet presented successful and failed experiences. But they were few years old and may be with prior version of CentOS.

Return to “CentOS 7 - Networking Support”