question about network manager in kde

Issues related to configuring your network
LMHmedchem

question about network manager in kde

Post by LMHmedchem » 2020/01/24 02:44:00

Hello,

I was looking at the network manager and I see two network connections listed.
eno1
virbr0

Both are listed as connected. The eno1 connection does not seem to have an IP address associated with it. What is the purpose of the two listed connections?

Also, I generally shut down my internet connection while I am not actually at the computer. In windows I do this with the firewall. When I use kde opensuse, there is a connection icon on the lower desktop panel. I can click on that and connect/disconnect. Is there something similar in centos kde? I don't even see a very easy way to disconnect in the network manager.

LMHmedchem

jlehtone

Re: question about network manager in kde

Post by jlehtone » 2020/01/24 07:50:41

LMHmedchem wrote:
2020/01/24 02:44:00
eno1
virbr0

Both are listed as connected. The eno1 connection does not seem to have an IP address associated with it. What is the purpose of the two listed connections?
You have installed libvirt's virtualization packages. That is part of default desktop install.

The libvirt defines a virtual network "default". You can simply create VM's, attach them to "default" and thus have them networked.
The virtual network is implemented with a software bridge. The "virbr0" is the host's connection/interface to that network.
If you disable the autostart of the "default" or disable the libvirtd.service entirely, then the "virbr0" will not be created on boot.

The eno1 is a connection through/on machine's physical network card. If that is your only connection "outwards" and does not have an address, then you should not be able to connect anywhere. We miss some detail.

Open a terminal and run:

Code: Select all

nmcli
nmcli d s
nmcli c s
Their output should help us see what is going on.

On Gnome the GUI does offer "Turn Off" options for connections. I practically never use the GUI and I've never seen the KDE in CentOS, so can't help with them.

LMHmedchem

Post by LMHmedchem » 2020/01/24 17:35:53

Thank you very much for the explanation.

The virbr0 connection has, for some reason, disappeared from the connections manager. The eno1 connection is connected, but shows no information on the IPv4 tab. On the "Method" drop-down menu, the method is listed as "Automatic (DHCP)". I do have a connection, so possibly there are no details listed when the automatic method is used. Even though there is no IP information listed in the connections manager, nmcli does list an IP for the eno1 connection and it is the same IP that is found in my other OS installations for this machine. This comes from my firewall router.

I have no idea why the virbr0 bridge connection is now disconnected. I don't have any VMs on this yet but I will have to address that when I do.

LMHmedchem

LMHmedchem

Post by LMHmedchem » 2020/01/28 16:39:06

There is a network manager icon at the right end of the lower panel. If you select this, there is a checkbox that lets you connect/disconnect from the network. I don't know why I didn't see this before because I looked for it. Possibly it was hidden. If it is not there, I am sure it can be added to the panel.

LMHmedchem