Bonding/Teaming in centOS 7

Issues related to configuring your network
Kunwar

Bonding/Teaming in centOS 7

Post by Kunwar » 2014/11/24 20:04:38

Hi All,

I am new to linux. I have been trying to configure either NIC bonding or NIC teaming. I have done it on windows server 2012. I am using centos7 and I haven't been lucky enough to configure it correctly.
The Lab that I am working in right now has 3 WANs that I plan to combine to act as one with link aggregation (Adaptive transmit load balancing). I have tried every way possible in my knowledge using the Network Manager, doing it manually, and by following the documentations as well. Please advice me the best way to do it. Also I haven't been able to find any documentation on Teaming in centos 7. I have have three interfaces that I will be using as WAN and the forth one as LAN. WAN interfaces will have manual IP setting... In all the examples that I saw none had any example with static ips on there slaves. Also my /etc/modprob.d/ is missing modeprob.conf. So all this concludes to following questions:

1. Where can I find the manual or manpages for Teaming.
2. Is is possible to use Static ips on slaves with bonding or teaming.
3. What is the best mode to use?
4. Is what I want achievable through CentOS?

ShaggyG3

Re: Bonding/Teaming in centOS 7

Post by ShaggyG3 » 2014/11/26 01:36:30

It all definitely is very possible. The question is of at which how.
I will be able to help you a little as I myself have had some of the same scenarios.
I actually just posted up some of my issues a few days ago.

I was able to actually do this with nmcli.
It's very weird how this all works since the old CenOS6, they changed things, still actually just learning Linux with little experience, especially CentOS.

You might want to check out this video, try the Ethernet bonds - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK3lP568UFQ

(For your link Aggregation: balance-tlb - Try that instead of load-balancing)
I myself use roundrobin, permits double the intake, yours would triple. Glad I can even have IP KVM initiated if one of my NICs we're to somehow fail.

Now, the main problems with doing all this when I myself was at the point you are now was having the system identify the slaves.This video does have the needed commands but not the ones that worked for me.
While adding the slaves, I referenced these commands instead:

~]$ nmcli con add type team-slave con-name Team0-port1 ifname ens3 master Team0
Connection 'Team0-port1' (adbf21f2-51b6-492f-8fc8-48b831383ac9) successfully added.
~]$ nmcli con add type team-slave con-name Team0-port2 ifname ens7 master Team0
Connection 'Team0-port2' (e5317075-c0c1-472f-b25d-0433b0297ea3) successfully added.

From: https://jfearn.fedorapeople.org/fdocs/e ... nmcli.html

From this, at least you should be able to put everything together!

Other notes:
From what I can see, what needs to be done with all the IPs, you usually have to specify via the application once added. Here's what you have to do:
Once you have all the NICs bonded & have a connection, you can then proceed to edit the connections via the NM UI (Adding in the additional IPS matched according to Gateway & Subnet, DNS Servers & whatnot/8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4)
You wanna take note before this that what has to happened is controlling the network is done via command line, that on & off via GUI never worked for me:

systemctl restart NetworkManager
-Perfect for when configuration via GUI is edited after you save your config.
systemctl enable NetworkManager
-When everything is completed, you are satisfied with you connection, use this command, restart the computer & all configuration should be saved!

You asked about some kind of documentation: https://access.redhat.com/documentation ... ise_Linux/
Just an FYI, this is all I can come up with so far, my experience so far with CentOS & Bonding. Please do post your solution & good luck! :)

Kunwar

Re: Bonding/Teaming in centOS 7

Post by Kunwar » 2014/12/03 01:22:59

Hi ShaggyG3, thanks for the sharing all this info with me. I am going to study more about centos in week days and try this by end of this week. I am documenting everything. I will share my experience with you soon. Thanks again!