Unable to boot into compiled kernel with centOS7 on NUC11PAHi7 model

Issues related to hardware problems
pavankumarv

Post by pavankumarv » 2021/12/17 15:11:52

Compiled Linux kernel 4.2.2 successfully on installed Cent OS-7 2009 version.
After reboot in grub menu we are able to the 4.2.2 kernel, but unable to boot into the installed kernel.
Please help me here.
NUC details:
Intel NUC 11 Performance Mini PC Kit
Model: NUC11PAHi7000

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Unable to boot into compiled kernel with centOS7 on NUC11PAHi7 model

Post by TrevorH » 2021/12/17 17:52:12

We cannot support self-compiled kernels here as there are just too many things that might go wrong. If it doesn't boot then it's likely you didn't enable something that is required for CentOS to operate. If you must build a kernel on your own then you should start by using a copy of the /config file used to build the CentOS kernel in the first place (you can find copies in /boot/config-*).

I'd also question the wisdom of building a kernel version that was released on 29-Sep-2015 and has had no updates since. It'll be riddled with security vuilnerabilities that are already fixed in the CentOS supplied 3.10.0 kernel series.

If you must run a kernel that is not supplied by CentOS then you should look at running something up to date and not 6 years old. The ELRepo project build and make available more recent kernels - they have a kernel-lt and a kernel-ml. Their kernel-lt is currently 5.4.167-1.el7.elrepo and their kernel-ml is 5.15.10-1.el7.elrepo. They produce update for those every time a newer version comes out from the linux mainline so you will get security updates as they are released (so long as you bother to update it).

Please note that the kernel version in CentOS 7 is 3.10.0-xxx and those kernels are regularly updated by Red Hat to fix recently announced security problems. Do not judge the kernel by its version number. They also backport many things from newer kernels into the older 3.10 branch so if you are looking for some feature that was allegedly added in 4.2.2 then you may find that it's already present in the RH supplied 3.10 one.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke