Slow Disk I/O Performance with "sata_via" Module on CentOS7

Issues related to hardware problems
fresh-pie

Slow Disk I/O Performance with "sata_via" Module on CentOS7

Post by fresh-pie » 2021/07/11 14:25:33

I'm running into an issue with the "sata_via" module on CentOS7.

I have a set of computers that have super high I/O latency when using this module. It is so bad that the system is pretty much unusable. However I have found that if I install CentOS8 and load the kmod-sata_via module from ELREPO, everything works great (the "sata_via" module was removed from CentOS8, so the ELREPO version was the only option on that specific platform).

The problem is, for reasons I don't think it is necessary to get into, I can't go to CentOS8. And sadly, I can't seem to find the kmod-sata_via module for CentOS7 (I would imagine that is because it is already part of the CentOS7 build).

I'm not too sure what to do at this point to get this system running properly on CentOS7. This my be a very stupid question, but I'm asking out of desperation, for those with a deeper knowledge on kernel modules, is there anyway I can somehow obtain a kmod-sata_via module for CentOS7 or any alternative kernel modules I could try? Or perhaps there are kernel settings I can experiment with for disk performance?

Sorry if I'm lacking any details, still trying to learn a lot of this stuff.