CentOS 7 install on Dell Precision with Intel I9

Issues related to hardware problems
jeffdm2005

CentOS 7 install on Dell Precision with Intel I9

Post by jeffdm2005 » 2021/04/20 19:59:56

We just purchased several Dell Precision 7750 laptops with the intention of installing CentOS 7 on them. CentOS 7 seem to install on them fine. However, after booting up, I realized that neither the onboard NIC or the wifi device were recognized. When I did an ifconfig, the only interface listed was the loopback. It has an Intel I219-LM network device which should use the e1000 driver. I did some research and Dell says that the latest version of the Dell Precision laptops only support Linux operating systems of RHEL 8.2 and Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. We require CentOS 7 so I need to make this work if possible. I did an lshw and saw that several devices were "UNCLAIMED" which I found out means that a driver is not associated with the device. My initial thought is that CentOS 7 isn't recognizing the bus so in turn, it can't recognize the devices that are on that bus. These are the devices set as "UNCLAIMED".

Description: Serial Bus Controller; Product: TU106 USB Type-C UCSI Controller; Vendor: NVIDIA; Physical ID: 0.3
Description: Signal Processing Controller; Product: Xeon E3-1200 v5/6th Gen Core Processing Thermal Subsystem; Vendor: Intel; Physical ID: 4
Description: System peripheral; Product: Xeon E3-1200 v5/6th/7th/8th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model; Vendor: Intel; Physical ID: 8
Description: Signal Processing controller; Product: Comet Lake PCH Thermal Controller; Vendor: Intel; Physical ID: 12
Description: Serial Controller; Product: Intel Corporation; Vendor: Intel; Physical ID: 13
Description: Smart Cart Reader; Product: 58200; Vendor: Broadcom; Physical ID: a
Description: RAM memory; Product: Comet Lake PCH Shared SRAM; Vendor: Intel; Physical ID: 14.2
Description: Serial bus controller; Product: Comet Lake PCH Serial IO I2C Controller #0; Vendor: Intel; Physical ID: 15.1
Description: Communication controller; Product: Comet Lake HECI Controller; Vendor: Intel; Physical ID: 16
Description: SMBus; Product: Comet Lake PCH SMBus Controller; Product: Intel; Physical ID: if.4
Description: Serial bus controller; Product: Comet Lake PCH SPI Controller; Vendor: Intel; Physical ID: 1f.5
Description: Ethernet Controller; Product: Ethernet Connection (11) I219-LM; Vendor: Intel; Physical ID: 1f.6

If I could just get the Ethernet Adapter to work, I think I would be happy with that.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: CentOS 7 install on Dell Precision with Intel I9

Post by TrevorH » 2021/04/20 21:56:30

You'd need to provide the output from lspci -nn | grep -i net to be sure but the ELRepo project have a kmod-e1000e package which supplies a newer version of the e1000e kernel module and that supports several newer Intel gigabit adapters. You'll also want to install their elrepo-release package that adds their yum repo to the system so that you get future updates to the kmod package as and when they are released.

Code: Select all

kmod-e1000e.x86_64                            3.8.4-3.el7_9.elrepo                             elrepo
The only other thing in your list of devices that perhaps you might need a driver for is the smart card device but that'll be more tricky.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

poltr1

Re: CentOS 7 install on Dell Precision with Intel I9

Post by poltr1 » 2021/05/18 13:46:47

@jeffdm2005: That sounds similar to the problem I had with a Dell Precision 7550 several months ago. Refer to this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=75506

I couldn't use the elrepo repo at my site, so I ended up downloading the driver from Intel's website, building the .rpm file, and running it.