video card for 4k monitor supported by centos X11?

Issues related to hardware problems
karlberry

video card for 4k monitor supported by centos X11?

Post by karlberry » 2020/06/19 16:59:17

I'm looking for a video card with a driver included in the standard CentOS X11 packages that can support a 4k monitor. Does anyone happen to have or know of such a thing? The monitor is an ASUS PA328Q (3840x2160 pixels), if it matters.

Currently I have an nvidia card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, 4gb) from a few years ago, and the nvidia driver. I have had nothing but trouble with it -- sometimes crashing in the middle of work (nothing video-intensive. just typing in xterms), sometimes when the machine is doing nothing overnight. Sometimes the screen gets filled with vibrating colored static, sometimes it silently dies. There is no information in any log I can find.

I've tried many different versions of the nvidia driver, downloaded from their site, and many options during its installation. For the record, the one I've had the most luck with is version 435.21, from August 2019. It stilll crashes plenty often, sometimes several days in a row (or more often), sometimes I might be up for a week or so before it dies.

I've always been running the latest centos 7 kernel and packages, dutifully updating as new releases are made. I haven't noticed any particular difference, either better or worse, with different centos7 versions.

I tried searching here (and many other places), but could never get a clear idea of which cards (a) had drivers included in the centos packages, and (b) could support this big monitor.

So, any information greatly appreciated. Thanks. --karl@freefriends.org

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: video card for 4k monitor supported by centos X11?

Post by TrevorH » 2020/06/19 17:10:07

Do you need the performance that comes with the nvidia proprietary driver or do you just need something that does 4k? If the latter then you could try removing the nvidia driver and using the in-kernel open source 'nouveau'. It's slower, quite a lot slower - same video card scores 2k on one benchmark here with nouveau and 33k with the nvidia driver but since all I need is a video card that will do 2560x1440p and I have no special performance required, nouveau works just as well for me.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

karlberry

Post by karlberry » 2020/06/19 17:30:57

Thanks for the instant reply. I don't need any special performance in terms of speed or colors, but I do want all my pixels (3840x2160). When I tried nouveau, I couldn't figure out how to get the full 4k. Probably I did not persevere long enough. I'll try again.

Does this mean there is no driver for a card with support in the centos7 packages? (like ATI or, I don't know ...)

Thanks!

chemal

Post by chemal » 2020/06/19 18:57:09

karlberry wrote:
2020/06/19 16:59:17
Currently I have an nvidia card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, 4gb) from a few years ago, and the nvidia driver. I have had nothing but trouble with it -- sometimes crashing in the middle of work (nothing video-intensive. just typing in xterms), sometimes when the machine is doing nothing overnight. Sometimes the screen gets filled with vibrating colored static, sometimes it silently dies.
Either you never managed to install the driver properly or you have broken hardware.