PPD Error | Printer

Issues related to hardware problems
jmacdougca

PPD Error | Printer

Post by jmacdougca » 2020/06/03 03:09:43

Hi there I am trying to install a printer. The process was going smooth until the last part when the OS tried to run the code.

Here is the driver source code. Code wouldn't fit in post which is why I had to paste to https://pastebin.com/bfddEyJY

I think I have to edit this file to give an asterisk for line one column one but this is next level for me guys.
I did not find much on the net for help on this issue and the provider will not help me because I don't use Microsoft

Anyone help a penguin out?
Attachments
PPDerror.png
PPDerror.png (64.26 KiB) Viewed 1994 times
Start less finish more

desertcat

Re: PPD Error | Printer

Post by desertcat » 2020/06/06 19:39:37

jmacdougca wrote:
2020/06/03 03:09:43
Hi there I am trying to install a printer. The process was going smooth until the last part when the OS tried to run the code.

Here is the driver source code. Code wouldn't fit in post which is why I had to paste to https://pastebin.com/bfddEyJY

I think I have to edit this file to give an asterisk for line one column one but this is next level for me guys.
I did not find much on the net for help on this issue and the provider will not help me because I don't use Microsoft

Anyone help a penguin out?
Judging from your post you may or may NOT have a printer that is compatible with Linux.

Installing printers in Linux is a PITA. May I ask who made your printer? HP has the best support for their printers and Linux. If it is an HP there is something called hplip. Before I bought my printer -- an HP Envy 4520 -- I checked it against HP's list of printers that are known or supported by HP to work with Linux. If it is not an HP, Canon is pretty well supported. If it is something like a Brother, Epson, Xerox, NEC, ALPS, or some other brand (those were just the ones I can remember off the top of my head) see if they support Linux. Some of the drivers are distro specific. Your best bet right now is to see if your printer has Linux Drivers.

https://www.openprinting.org/printers

https://haydenjames.io/finding-linux-co ... -printers/

There are two things you could try: IF your research reveals that your printer DOES support Linux, then maybe what you need to do is to simply is uninstall or delete the file/s you created and simply try, try again. Make sure that your printer and model support Linux which should be on the makers website, and see if there are distro related drivers -- for the most part RHEL/CentOS/Fedora are one and the same -- or if it supports CUPS generalized support.

The other thing you could *try* to do if you have enough memory, is to create a VM, install Windows, and then load the printer under Windows, since all printers are Windows compatible.

Best of luck.

jmacdougca

Post by jmacdougca » 2020/06/13 03:35:39

Thanks for the reply desercat.
Both printers are Linux compatible. I managed to get cups to pick them both up Image but can't print test page.

Printer 1: Brother MFC-9130CW]https://support.brot ... c9130cw_us
Printer 2: Cannon Image Class MF 217w]https://www. ... ds-drivers

Thanks for the PITA comment, I felt like a moron but knew this isn't rocket science haha

The error I am getting:
stopped
"Filter failed"

Here is the cups server configuration file Anything I need to change there?

Code: Select all

MaxLogSize 0
#
# "$Id: cupsd.conf.in 7888 2008-08-29 21:16:56Z mike $"
#
# Sample configuration file for the CUPS scheduler.  See "man cupsd.conf" for a
# complete description of this file.
#

# Log general information in error_log - change "warn" to "debug"
# for troubleshooting...
LogLevel warn

# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
Listen *:631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

# Show shared printers on the local network.
Browsing On
BrowseLocalProtocols dnssd

# Send packets with printer sharing information
Browsing On
BrowseLocalProtocols cups dnssd

# Allow shared printing
<Location />
 Order allow, deny
 ALLOW all
</Location>

# Default authentication type, when authentication is required...
DefaultAuthType Basic

# Web interface setting...
WebInterface Yes

# Restrict access to the server...
<Location />
  Order allow,deny
allow localhost
allow 192.168.1.0/24
</Location>

# Restrict access to the admin pages...
<Location /admin>
  Order allow,deny
</Location>

# Restrict access to configuration files...
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order allow,deny
</Location>

# Set the default printer/job policies...
<Policy default>
  # Job/subscription privacy...
  JobPrivateAccess default
  JobPrivateValues default
  SubscriptionPrivateAccess default
  SubscriptionPrivateValues default

# Job-related operations must be done by the owner or an administrator...
  <Limit Create-Job Print-Job Print-URI Validate-Job>
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

<Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job Cancel-My-Jobs Close-Job CUPS-Move-Job CUPS-Get-Document>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

# All administration operations require an administrator to authenticate...
  <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default CUPS-Get-Devices>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

# All printer operations require a printer operator to authenticate...
  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After Cancel-Jobs CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

# Only the owner or an administrator can cancel or authenticate a job...
  <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

<Limit All>
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
</Policy>

# Set the authenticated printer/job policies...
<Policy authenticated>
  JobPrivateAccess default
  JobPrivateValues default

AuthType Default
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

<Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job Cancel-My-Jobs Close-Job CUPS-Move-Job CUPS-Get-Document>
    AuthType Default
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

<Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

<Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After Cancel-Jobs CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

AuthType Default
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

<Limit All>
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
</Policy>

#
# End of "$Id: cupsd.conf.in 7888 2008-08-29 21:16:56Z mike $".
#
I also found this]https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxques ... istration This guy fixed his issue by; "so after reading your config file i changed all the admin access permissions from allow "@Local" to "All" and now its working as it should"
I thought I'd ask the community first, I tend to break things faster then I can fix them. :P

Also this]https://www.linuxquestions.org/que ... 213-print/ solution for someone else, "administrators in the CUPS interface. There it indicates rather clearly that one must obtain and use the IP address for network printers. Sigh!"

Not sure on the next course of action. I reached out to a friend for help on irc.
Attachments
printers.png
printers.png (15.84 KiB) Viewed 1618 times
Start less finish more

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2020/06/18 00:01:39

jmacdougca wrote:
2020/06/13 03:35:39
Thanks for the reply desercat.
Both printers are Linux compatible. I managed to get cups to pick them both up Image but can't print test page.

Printer 1: Brother MFC-9130CW]https://support.brot ... c9130cw_us
Printer 2: Cannon Image Class MF 217w]https://www. ... ds-drivers

Thanks for the PITA comment, I felt like a moron but knew this isn't rocket science haha

The error I am getting:
stopped
"Filter failed"

Here is the cups server configuration file Anything I need to change there?

Code: Select all

MaxLogSize 0
#
# "$Id: cupsd.conf.in 7888 2008-08-29 21:16:56Z mike $"
#
# Sample configuration file for the CUPS scheduler.  See "man cupsd.conf" for a
# complete description of this file.
#

# Log general information in error_log - change "warn" to "debug"
# for troubleshooting...
LogLevel warn

# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
Listen *:631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

# Show shared printers on the local network.
Browsing On
BrowseLocalProtocols dnssd

# Send packets with printer sharing information
Browsing On
BrowseLocalProtocols cups dnssd

# Allow shared printing
<Location />
 Order allow, deny
 ALLOW all
</Location>

# Default authentication type, when authentication is required...
DefaultAuthType Basic

# Web interface setting...
WebInterface Yes

# Restrict access to the server...
<Location />
  Order allow,deny
allow localhost
allow 192.168.1.0/24
</Location>

# Restrict access to the admin pages...
<Location /admin>
  Order allow,deny
</Location>

# Restrict access to configuration files...
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order allow,deny
</Location>

# Set the default printer/job policies...
<Policy default>
  JobPrivateAccess default
  JobPrivateValues default

Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

<Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default CUPS-Get-Devices>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

<Limit All>
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
</Policy>

# Set the authenticated printer/job policies...
<Policy authenticated>
  JobPrivateAccess default
  JobPrivateValues default

AuthType Default
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

AuthType Default
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

<Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

AuthType Default
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

<Limit All>
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
</Policy>

#
# End of "$Id: cupsd.conf.in 7888 2008-08-29 21:16:56Z mike $".
#
I also found this]https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxques ... istration This guy fixed his issue by; "so after reading your config file i changed all the admin access permissions from allow "@Local" to "All" and now its working as it should"
I thought I'd ask the community first, I tend to break things faster then I can fix them. :P

Also this]https://www.linuxquestions.org/que ... 213-print/ solution for someone else, "administrators in the CUPS interface. There it indicates rather clearly that one must obtain and use the IP address for network printers. Sigh!"

Not sure on the next course of action. I reached out to a friend for help on irc.
Nah, you can't possibly be worse than my sister. She couldn't install a graphics card in a Dell from Hell Inspiron with out using a HAMMER -- no joke -- and managed to screw something up :lol: :lol: :lol: , guess who is going to have the joy of fixing it?!? Of course she uses Windows and has no problem with HER printer.

One thing you can do just to make sure you have a problem is to first go to some short one page document created in something like Libre Office Writer containing simple TEXT. Then go to print preview, and and then Printer Settings and finally try to PRINT it. If it prints you are golden; if not, it back to the drawing board. You might want to try this: GoTo ==> the Application Launcher on the Panel ==> Applications ==> Settings==> System Settings ==> Find Hardware ==> Printers (That is if you have KDE I have NO IDEA for GNOME, but I bet if you first set it up under KDE you could probably drop back to GNOME and it would work.)

An Alternate way would be to GoTo ==> the Application Launcher on the Panel ==> Applications ==> Administration and you should see one or two programs there: Print Settings for sure and possibly one for the Brother and Cannon (mines says HP Printer Management Application). My printer is a LOCAL printer that is about 4 Ft from the computer. After trying to set it up as a wireless printer, I threw in the towel and set it as a USB Printer. As I recall in order to get it to work I ended up actually having to compile the drivers to work with this particular printer, and this particular set of hardware. I *suspect* that I may have to end up GoTo ==> the Application Launcher on the Panel ==> Applications doing that all over again when I jump to CentOS 8.x, and /or retire this ws and build the new one in a year or two. As I recall it was a REAL PITA, but must have evoked the rights gods, or chanted the right spell and now it works just fine. If you have a set of LINUX drivers install them, most drivers are for WIndows, and they will not works with your Linux machine. What you must do in that case is to go to each of the manufacturer's website and download the Linux Specific Drivers. For my HP Envy 4520 it was hplip as I recall.

Keep us posted if you get it/them to work.

D'Cat