No sound in VLC in new Centos7 install - otherwise works

Issues related to hardware problems
lightman47

No sound in VLC in new Centos7 install - otherwise works

Post by lightman47 » 2015/10/17 22:59:43

While getting the actual answer is always wonderful, I am actually posting to find out HOW to solve my problem - where to look. I just clean installed CentOS7 on a previous Fedora 20 machine that was my "movie player" - iso files on an NFS hard drive. I updated, installed repos, then vlc and libdvdcss. Card is Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 ti (may not have it exact here) - which installed with out issue via yum install kmod-nvidia.

Issue: Sound (HDMI) is working flawlessly for everything EXCEPT VLC. Obviously, the wrong 'device' is chosen in VLC. I've tried changing the 'devices' in VLC, but nothing. Can I know HOW to check my system (what files/commands) to match up the working System device to the device that VLC expects? The video portion of VLC plays perfectly ... but silently.

It worked flawlessly (hardware) under Fedora 20 but I decided I was done starting over every 2 years. It was fun for a while (since Fedora 6), but got old rebuilding 6+ machines.

Thank you.
Remember - importing/building packages will likely "byte you in the butt" come update time, long after you'd forgotten you did that! Use repos whenever possible.

scottro
Forum Moderator

Re: No sound in VLC in new Centos7 install - otherwise works

Post by scottro » 2015/10/18 00:51:17

For what it's worth I had to play around with VLC and HDMI output too.

If I use VLC's GUI, I'm able to choose an audio device called pcm1:virtual:dsp1.vp0. (There was another pcm1 option, marked pcm1:play:dsp1.p0.)

That was, I think, on a Lubuntu or possibly Fedora installation.

I have a page that includes a little bit about dealing with HDMI output, though I don't know if any of it will be useful.

http://srobb.net/dvds.html#HDMI
New users should check the FAQ and Read Me First pages

lightman47

Post by lightman47 » 2015/10/20 00:03:08

Hmm - turns out has nothing to do with the nvidia card or the HDMI output. On my CentOS 7 HP laptop using the onboard sound card/speakers I get the same result with VLC when I try to play the same files. This is going to be a head scratcher - I suspect VLC may have changed something or 'something' has gone awry with all my files.. When I get more time to play with this I'll report back if I find out anything.

[Edit]As promised:
Remembered that girlfriend's machine is still running Fedora 20 - her VLC plays the files (with audio) just fine. It's not the files.

(20151020)
Getting suspicious selinux is involved during the 'install' - it has clobbered the installs of clamav and boinc (testing) by dis-allowing group creations. If I 'setenforce 0', clam installs fine and the boinc group gets created as well (but there are more issues with boinc that need work ==> bugzilla).

The saga continues

(20151021)
A reinstall of VLC with Selinux disabled was fruitless. Back to the drawing board.
Remember - importing/building packages will likely "byte you in the butt" come update time, long after you'd forgotten you did that! Use repos whenever possible.

SeijiSensei

Post by SeijiSensei » 2015/10/22 00:35:27

Have you tried mplayer or mpv? You can use smplayer as a GUI front-end to both of those.

Return to “CentOS 7 - Hardware Support”