CentOS cannot boot after putting HD in an another machine

Issues related to hardware problems
AdrienD

CentOS cannot boot after putting HD in an another machine

Post by AdrienD » 2015/02/06 14:32:52

Hi !

I've installed CentOS 7 64b with a 3.12.36 modified version of the kernel to get real-time capabilities. I ran some tests yesterday on my machine and these tests made the computer crash. The problem is not coming from the test in itself because I can run them fine on another machine.

So I wanted to see if the problem might come from the hardware, that's why I put the HD with CentOS on another machine with a different MB, CPU, ...
But once the loading bar is complete, it says that /dev/centos/root doesn't exist, same for /dev/centos/swap and another item.
I went to the journal ctl and the only problem seems to be that he doesn't find any i8042 devices (PS/2 mouse & keyboard).

I put the HD back in the first machine and it boots fine ... But he had to do a sort of file check that took quite some time ...

Would anyone have an idea on this problem ?

Thank you !
Adrien

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Re: CentOS cannot boot after putting HD in an another machin

Post by TrevorH » 2015/02/06 14:59:28

Remove rhgb quiet from the kernel command line so that you can see the boot output properly.
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 is dead, do not use it.
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

AdrienD

Re: CentOS cannot boot after putting HD in an another machin

Post by AdrienD » 2015/02/06 15:21:11

Ok, I tried to boot on a third computer and it went well ... But the tests failed as well, so it's probably coming from the kernel ...

I'm not able to access the previous computer right now, I'll try when I can.

Edit : apparently it's coming from the fact that X9 MB isn't able to use an OS that was installed with a X7 or X8 MB and vice versa ...

Return to “CentOS 7 - Hardware Support”