Centos not booting

Issues related to applications and software problems
gravityvorce

Centos not booting

Post by gravityvorce » 2022/08/23 21:42:16

Hello

Our workstation computer just recently went down. We were working on it with x2go for a while now. After installing x2go, the boot suddenly went down but x2go still worked so we continued working through it. This past weekend the workstation went down with this bug "kernel:NMI watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#46 stuck for 22s! [irq/189-nvidia:83978]". We restarted the computer and x2go does not boot up anymore. I am tackling our initial problem with the main boot and seeing what I can do about it.

Problem
========
This is the boot report I get in the google link. I recorded it and that is where it usually stops.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kGpirI ... sp=sharing

Attempts
==========
1. Ctrl + Alt + f2-f6 is not working and letting me get to another virtual terminal
2. Tried going into Anaconda Rescue Mode and rpm the kernel and the grub2

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated, and I'll do my best to relay any information that I can. Let me know if another video is needed too if this one is bad.

gravityvorce

Re: Centos not booting

Post by gravityvorce » 2022/08/25 15:00:19

I was able to find the boot.log and thought it would be better to take the last 300 lines of the boot log and show that instead to see it better.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Centos not booting

Post by TrevorH » 2022/08/25 17:25:34

Boot in rescue mode, remount your / filesystem r/w, edit /etc/fstab and comment out the entry for /data. Then reboot and the system should come up (unless there's another filesystem missing, in which case repeat), then once up, see what is wrong with it.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke