VNC Server Setup for multiple users

Issues related to applications and software problems
chrismjh

VNC Server Setup for multiple users

Post by chrismjh » 2022/06/28 13:40:58

Hi everyone,
I followed this tutorial here - https://access.redhat.com/documentation ... -on-xinetd - I followed 13.1.4. VNC setup based on xinetd with XDMCP for GDM

Got through the tutorial fine - When I go to test with

Code: Select all

vncviewer localhost:5950
Which I presume should bring up a gui with login prompt, I get "No password configured for VNC Auth"

I googled that error and set the security type in /root/.vnc/config for "securitytypes=none" - which did nothing, after reboot.

Another suggestion was to remove authentication from /etc/X11/xorg.conf for vnc, by removing

Code: Select all

Option "SecurityTypes" "VncAuth"
Option "UserPasswdVerifier" "VncAuth"
Option "PasswordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"
which I did, which did nothing, after reboot.

I decided to give in and supply a password running "vncpasswd" as root, which did nothing after testing vncviewer localhost:5950 I get the same error, No password configured for VNC Auth.

I tried changing the TigerVNC viewer GUI settings to no authentication, which did nothing, I still get prompted for a password.

Some background - we are running centos 7 VM's on an esxi server, all vm's have enough ram and hd space and generally are working well.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks

chrismjh

Re: VNC Server Setup for multiple users

Post by chrismjh » 2022/06/29 14:20:36

My work around is to setup a service for each user running on a separate port. The downside is this method only works on ports 5901 - 5904. After 4 connections, vnc is not happy and the sockets cannot open.

https://unixhealthcheck.com/blog?id=428

This tutorial works for 4 users because you just repeat the process for each user. If anyone knows how to get past this 4 user limit feel free to post it!

Thanks.